Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Quin’s Rainbow Vale - Millions of Dead Elves (1080.5 Points)


For some semblance of keeping a theme I attempted to recreate the album cover from below


Wild Card Month, or Rank & File V

 I was able to finish painting everything with ample time this month, however in the last days I have been heavily distracted adding flowers and flocking to everyone’s bases. I also attempted to finish a piece of scenery in painting the Orc Village, released around the time of 5th/6th edition. I’m nearly halfway there, but didn’t have enough time to complete it for today’s pictures. Here’s hoping I will keep the motivation going and have it ready for my army shot next month. 

 Getting into what I have accomplished, my month started with another C28 giant. A combination of Body 5, Head 1 & Weapon 2. The body had some significant flash left over on the hand holding the “cannon ball” which I thought looked like severed optical nerves, and I painted it as such! Touched up with some Blood for the Blood God, I’m quite pleased with the results of this one :)





 Up next is from Grenadier, a Storm Giant. In this case I decided to leave him with a more natural skin tone and use him as a giant wizard.





 And for the last of my giants, I believe the oldest in my collection. From Heritage’s Dungeon Dwellers “3506 Great Monsters” box set is the 1299 Hill Giant. Having painted a great many ropes so far this year, I opted to give this savage looking gent something more interesting. Belts made of viscera, again smothered with Blood from the Blood God.




 Unfortunately I had forgotten to affix shields to these Orcs prior to basecoating them, and continued to put it off until it was too late. In the future this unit will be upgraded to bearing shields, and a banner. For now no additional points.


 
These two are interesting, because they are the same sculpt with slightly different variations. The version with red hair has a bit of flash connecting the scythe to his body. The other figure has a shield bump on his back. The flash I understand could be easily trimmed off, but the figure with red hair has definitely never had a shield bump.

 Anyways, the models are both ORC2 Brarg, though I suspect one of them is a later release with the added shield peg and support to the scythe possibly lost through years of using the cast? Or as suggested otherwise, removed by a previous owner.


      
    Two ORC2 Chundi.



 Left to right, ORC2 Chugg, ORC2 Bault. Two of my favorites from this range. While planning my list I had considered including them as savage orc “assassins”.



  
  Left to Right, ORC2 Zag, C15 Gobstob, Sword Bearer


 
ORC2 Cryack, as you can see I didn’t add a banner to this figure yet, eventually I plan to fly a skinny banner from the section of his spear just above his hand, and below the blade. Though his opinion of any incoming army is still visible on his mohawk.



Leading the unit of orcs into battle is C15 Hoglod Bone-Breaker. Equipped with an interesting blade and a cowskin diaper, complete with a cool beard and a bald head he would make any respectable elf tremble upon sight.



 
My final figure for the month is ORC4 Mandig Elfsickle. Quite a lovely figure that will be used as a high ranking shaman in my savage orc community. I attempted to differentiate him from the other orcs by way of bright feathers and hair, as well as giving him a rusty blade. I wonder if I should have rusted them all? Something to consider as I move forward…


2 Giants 250 points each (500)


Level 5 Giant Wizard (280)


9 Savage Orcs 5.5 points each (49.5)

Level 15 Savage Orc Hero (88)


Level 15 Savage Orc Shaman (163)


Total for June 1080.5 Points


Family Photo:



4 comments:

  1. Strong finish - great plan to use that Storm Giant as a Wizard, he's such a classic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a great finish! And more album covers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the bloody hell did that eyeball come from!?

    Great idea to use the Storm Giant sculpt as a Giant Wizard, and lovely old school savage orcs. Great stuff all round :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn! Nice finishing post - your army's gonna look sweet in that final group shot - looking forward to it! The flowers are a great touch :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog