Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Maciek's journey to Mordheim - a stroll through the ruins (wildcard)

 Wildcard month

Ruins of van Kessel's house

February is a short month so I built and painted a grand total of one model. It is large and completely scratch built. But still the only way I can get away with it is because and I am using my wildcard month. For February I give you the ruins of van Kessel's house from the Mordheim Merchant's  quarter.

 Fighting for warpstone over the ruins*

The house is designed with game-play in mind. Several access points as well as windows and openings to provide firing lanes from all sides. Debris inside is flat to facilitate movement of models. 


 



I wanted to give it that retro feel so it is built mostly from the classic crafting materials:  foam-board, cardboard, balsa wood, coffee stir-sticks, matches, plasticard, green stuff and a generous application of wall filler. One exception are the insides of windows. Could not get hold of wire mesh in my local craft store so I used 3D printed inserts.

Creative mess in progress. Building the city from scratch to ruin.

Two things I am really happy about are the plastered outside walls and the doors. The filler plaster provides a nice organic texture for painting. I also like how the door details turned out and they were not difficult to make.

These are made from wooden stir sticks, plasticard, greenstuff and a wire coiled on a brush. I would not have braved these details if not for the immortal holy text of crafters: "How to make wargames terrain". 

It was a fun and messy build that took couple of evenings. Took me back to early 2000s and a short-lived initiative for group crafting sessions with friends.

In March I will be working on the Beastmen Raiders and probably some leftover sisters.

Cheers, 

Maciek

*Terms and conditions apply. Miniatures visible on the photos are for illustrative purposes and not included in the February entry :-)

9 comments:

  1. Nice job! (how foolish to use the wild card so early :p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Textbook job, could be straight from the pages of that hallowed tome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Scenery is obviously so important to Mordheim so it makes perfect sense to spend time on a piece for your project. Way beyond my abilities - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Stunning work! Quite superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely house! I have scratchbuilt a few and know how hard it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've nailed the retro feel! (making me think of that John Blanche painting of Khare for Final Fantasy) The door frames are particularly nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! Definitely something straight out of Mordheim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nailed it! This is a win for the month. Great work on using the "Old Ways".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolute oldhammer gold. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog