Friday, February 9, 2024

Ben's Alpine Gnomes OWAC VII - Month 1


   
Hello friends! January happened, and as foretold by the beardy prophets of OWAC, some models got painted as well! We began with a unit of crossbowers, with the intent of providing some ranged support for the army eventual. Ten of these little friends could scale some slopes and set up shop, softening up all sorts of advancing baddies for the pikes and halberds down below.
 

While my introduction post said I'd have 14 of these friends, I had a rather nasty slip on the ice the day I'd set to begin the challenge, and was rather out of sorts for a bit. I'm going to call this a Rank and File month, since this unit is legal, but I'll be adding 4 more nerds to the unit by the end of OWAC VII.


Here's a close up of the unit champion. I'm really happy with the basing and the non-metalic metals (even if they're both a little jank, they're my brand of jank,) and I look forward to experimenting with the processes. 
  
The basing is just simple rocky grit painted brown and drybrushed grey, all over a warpstone green mixed with yellow ochre, with grass tufts from... somewhere. Likewise the NMM is just different greys with a twinge of titanium nickel yellow to make the metals a little brighter.


I also painted up an Illusionist to do some magic (maybe.) (I still have no clue how magic in 5e works, but that hasn't stopped me from getting this little wizard tabletop ready.)


We also have a piper, as per the Secret Santa Stipulation. He's not part of the army, but I wanted to adhere to the piper aspect of the prompt and I figured it was thematically relevant. Take care, little guy. Enjoy your stay with the USPS! 


So here are our friends so far. A modest start. Good luck everyone, and happy painting!

10 crossbows --- 60 pts
1 illusionist --- 56 pts

total 116/1000

5 comments:

  1. These are just so cute! By the way, I think "jank" is just a shorter word for "idiosyncratic" - you've got your own style, and it's working for you, and that's what counts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on these tiny figures. I like the green and black rims on the bases - makes them really pop. I hope you're all ok, or at least healing up well after your slip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the 5th edition either, but we have a house rule that allows gnome illusionists in dwarf armies that have gnomes (in 3rd edition). And that's a really nice start for the challenge, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Gnomes! I really like your Illusionist holding the mushroom. Great work this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for completing the month despite the rough start! I hope you are fully recovered. Illusionist with mushroom is also my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog