Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Adrian's rank & file month 3 - Now you see me, Now you're dead (160 points)

 


Surprising an elf army is nigh impossible. Their territories are patrolled by some of the skilled and silent agents.

The elf seekers or the ranks of the nagarythean Shadow Warriors are the reason almost no enemy can escape the elf inteligence. They search for enemy patrols or columns, locate stashes, or inform of enemy repositioning. But most importantly, they're deadly sharpshooters and warriors eager to strike behind enemy lines.

During the crisis of the fall of Tor Nimtala, regiments of seekers moved behind the lines of the besieging orcs and ratment hordes and killed hundreds of vital reinforcements, supplies. But more importantly for the cohesion of the chaotic hordes, they destroyed or robbed the loot gained from the burnt villages, expanding an aura of mistrust between the attackers.

 They also coordinated with the few defenders of the villages. Creating chokepoints or false routes to overcome the defenders, the ratmen fall under the sudden strike of arrows coming from units of seekers supported by strategically placed bolt throwers.


March suddenly become the trap month, and I still cannot comprehend why. I intended to paint a unit of shadow warriors/seekers, restoring the old plastic elf archers, and then moving to the bolt thrower and some extras that I want to finally include (I have a spare elf warrior militia that I said I'd love to finish converting and panting).

Everything planned failed and I got enough time to paint the bare minimum. Well, not exactly, a unit of seekers plus the bolt thrower and crew.




For the unit, I opted for more muted and greenish or shadow colours that they may use as camouflage. The colours of the clothes are not as bright as other line units. 

I ended including some patterns in the least muted/more contrasting colour as with other clothes of the army, and in the cloaks, as if they were made from some fine cloth. Also, I glazed the cloaks so the pattern dissapear in the shadows, to boost the effect of the embroided fine clothes rather than a printed pattern like in the other fabrics.

 

The bolt thrower is supposedly made from some fine reddish wood, so I used the same technique as in the fabric of the cloaks. First, I made the pattern. then, I glazed the wood with a mix of AK laser magenta and hull red.

That's a total of

10x High elf shadow warriors - 110 points

1x High elf repeater bolt thrower - 50 points

Another month, 13 more miniatures finished. Next month I want to paint the swordmasters and the extras that does not fit with the baggage train.

Until then,

Adrian's out.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely patterns and colours again, I've only recently started trying out glazes so it's interesting to know how you used them, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the details in your fabric and the wood grain. It adds a lot to the elegant feel of the Elves. Great work this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pattens on teh shadow warriors/seekers and how it breaks up the solid color of the cloaks, but I REALLY like the colors and patterns on the bolter crew with the sword.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, your patterns and textures on fabrics are superb, and look so perfectly Elven. My hat is off once again!

    I also love the use of the old white plastic elves as Shadow Warriors - that works really well in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing work, like last month. I really love your colour scheme. This purple with this turquoise and silver... mindblowing... I'd love to enslave them with my dark elves !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - the colouring on those cloaks is next level. And the scenic photography is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work on the cloak patterns, especially like the blue patterns, looks quite magical

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bolt thrower's wood grain is lush - as is all the glazing and freehand. Great work yet again 💪

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog