Thursday, April 4, 2024

Ben's Alpine Gnomes (596pt) OWAC VII - Month 3



Aloha everybody! It's been a rank and file month over here on the paint table, and I'm happy to report that the body count has more than doubled this time around. We kicked things off with a small unit of Halberdiers who you might remember from our last installment. They're real now, with colors other than red to make their little details pop!


There's a little champion holding a lantern in the mix. I really enjoyed painting his nose. Great job Byron! That schnozz is really one for the ages.

+150p
+39p


We've also managed to muster a unit of Fox Patrollers, who can scamper around the battlefield and pester foes with their crossbows. Sometimes I confuse contrast and saturation of color with loudness of juxtaposition, so the foxes wound up being fiery and bright, while the riders have those watery blue hoods.


I'm happy with them truth be told. They're more colorful than most of the things I paint for myself, and maybe that's my way of exploring outside of my comfort zone. Personal growth during OWAC? Stranger things have happened (I'm sure of it.)


+75 pts


Lastly, I had a spare half hour to crunch out another illusionist. She's not on the original list, but I figure if I play a larger game than anticipated, she'll come in handy. Plus, all models deserve to be painted, and if I paint her now, I won't forget to do so later. So here she is! 

+56

THE ARMY NOW



10 crossbows - 60 p
1 illusionist - 56p
1 illusionist - 56p
1 alpine giant - 160p
  10 guarden gnomes with light armor, bsb, and musician - 150p
champion on foot with halberd and light armor - 39p
5 fox riders - 75p

total points 596/1000

Woah! We're halfway there! Woah! That's enough points for a very small game! Maybe that means I'll play one, but more likely it means that I can take comfort in the progress that I'm seeing in this project. 

On that note though, my brother called today, asking me if I was making any army lists for One Page Rules, and it reminded me that one of the joys of making an army is finding all the different places one can run it in. While the points above are for Warhammer Fantasy Battle 5th edition, there exist gnomish rulesets for 6th edition and Dragon Rampant, and likely other systems still! Something I might do for myself is see where and how other people are playing their gnome armies, and then calculate how my force converts into those games. Versatility is a virtue after all!

Anyhow, that's my ramble for the month. We've some artillery, pikemen and other odds and ends to go, and so I leave you with some well-wishes and high hopes. Aloha!

5 comments:

  1. I really like those fox cavalry! My favourite thing you have painted so far, even more than the giant which I also like. I think the bright orange-red of the foxes matched against the more muted tones of fabric, leather, and wood across your army lend just the right feel of realism.

    I really like your focus on versatility too. I know myself and others often think about how our OWAC minis can do double duty in games like D&D. Definitely a good investment of hobby time seeing how much use you can get out of an asset like a fully painted army!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god they keep getting cuter! The foxes are fantastic, and the riders are actually quite badass for little chaps.

    I keep failing to take any colour theory on board, but I do remember that orange and blue are complementary colours, which is maybe why the blue hoods on those riders work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those Fox Patrollers are on point! Great work this month. How tiny are those stripes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, you have a playable force already and there is still more to come! The fox cavalry is an excellent addition to the force and they look great together with the rest of the army

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fox riders are ace, can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog