Tuesday, April 9, 2024

JohnR's Month 3 - No One Expects The Imperial Inquisition ! (998 points)

 Rank and file month #3

I had a bit of a revelation this month. Painting these minis I realised I’ve spent the last few decades pretty much just batch painting armies.

I have thousands of painted miniatures for a dozen or more gaming systems (sci-fi, fantasy and historical) in half a dozen different scales.

So it was an unexpected pleasure to paint this Inquisitor and his warband as a group of individuals, coming up with backstories and personalities for each of them as I worked. Some of them got quite elaborate so I won’t bore you with the details, I’ll just give an abridged version below their pictures.

 
Inquisitor Valmir Ramius – Ex admiral of the Imperial Fleet, now a veteran Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus. He's pictured here with his loyal Gyrinx pet, Soshka (right). Naturally Soshka regards Ramius as her loyal pet.

 

 
Interrogator Orlov (left) and Benedict Goodburrow (right). Orlov is a cruel and brutal man, well versed in all methods of torture and interrogation. He secretly dreams of receiving the Rosette and becoming a fully fledged Inquisitor. Goodburrow is Ramius’s ratling valet and personal assistant, his longest serving companion and the closest thing he has to a friend (think Samwise Gamgee with powered armour and a flamer).


 
Ruslan and Lyudmila Glinka – Lan and Mila are twins, discovered by Inquisitor Ramius among the petty nobility of the hive moon of Desna Minoris, Lan is gifted in languages, investigation and diplomacy while Mila is a promising psyker. They're the most likely members of Ramius's entourage to achieve Inquisitorhood - if they survive that long of course.
 
 
 
Jan Danko (right) and Petrom Ridzik (left). Danko is a bounty-hunter, pilot and former smuggler: well armed, well connected and very experienced. Ridzik is his co-pilot and close friend; useful with electronics, lock-picks, knives and pistols.
 
 

Three veteran Imperial Army troopers round out Ramius's warband: left to right Corporal Manzetti, Sniper Zaitsev and Scout Trooper Chernova.

Manzetti is a combat medic with some surgical experience, though her aggressive nature frequently gets her into trouble. Zaitsev is an expert marksman and Chernova is a peerless survivalist, scout and tracker. Both came to the attention of the Inquisition during the Ork invasion of Zarodina and joined Ramius after the planet was liberated.

 

I also added a Dreadnought and Robot to the Rogue Trader forces this month:


These will go where needed, though it makes most sense for the robot to accompany the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Dread to be part of the Mercenaries I reckon.

Finally I played the first game of the Rogue Trader mini campaign last week with my lad and a friend. They played as the Ad-Mech and Inquisitor respectively and I played the 'baddies' and GMed. They were searching an old mining colony and uncovered evidence of Inquisitorial malpractice (found by Ramius's warband so unlikely to see the light of day lol), some ancient star charts and the supposed location of a cache of ancient technology on a nearby world that they chose to be the next game of the campaign.

Unfortunately in all the excitement I only took a few pictures, please forgive the unpainted terrain (it was fresh off the printer). This was a lot of fun but kind of a trial run. I'm hoping to play the game again in a week or two with friends at my LGS so more pics might make it into next month's entry.





That's it for this month. If you're thinking of asking for a breakdown of the points values - please don't. Just have a look at the points values pages of the Rogue Trader rulebook (p58 to p60 or pXX to pXX for those with really old books lol) then imagine trying to work out points for a dozen individuals, all with unique profiles and equipment. It took me the best part of half a day and 3 cups of coffee and if I included it here this post would be three times longer than it is and it's already far too long 😂😂😂




8 comments:

  1. Nice team - old dreadnought looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun to paint some individual characters for a change, and this is a nice varied collection, and I love the little bits of personality you've added to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You clearly have an impressive collection to pull models from and there is lot to love here. I love that you included the robot in the mix, they don't get as much love as they would deserve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great month. This is what RT for me is about. Having fun developing stories. I love the nod to that oh-so-famous sniper. Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're right, sometimes it's a nice change to switch up from painting troops to painting individuals with a story to tell. They look great, and it's awesome that you got to play a game. I hope the campaign continues well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This..... is..... BRILLIANT!!! :D

    Every one of them is fantastic. The back stories make me want to get my Ian Watson and Dan Abnett books out. I can't think of higher praise tbh!

    Extra special bonus points for actually playing a game with your OWAC minis (we were lucky enough to do the same in April) - I always forget to take enough/decent photos in the middle of enjoying the game and I think that just shows we have our hobby priorities in the right order! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So oldhammer !!! I love them ! Espacialy the lord inquisitor, your purple is profound and noble, perfect for his rank

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the Inquisitor, fab model nicely painted

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog