Thursday, January 18, 2018

Iannick's Zrazoig, Fang and more Doom (228pts)

It does not seem to bother them than their chances of survival are low, but then only the most crazed Goblins would want to be propelled in the air anyway. These Goblins are known as Doom Divers, although it is usually for other (saner) goblins to call them "Bat Wings Loonies". In the dirty, brutal and often painfully short life of a goblin the chance of swooping through the air and smashing right through their enemies is just too good to miss. The Doom Divers know that the ultimate excitement of diving through the air is at high speed is well worth the considerable risks. Though it is a sad way for a Goblin to go, it is infinitely more better than to die an ignoble death by the hands of a hungry Troll.

The first submission of January is Zrazoig, the almighty Shaman, and his trusted sacred spider, Fang the hairy.

This is of course the famous Giant Spider rider released in 1991 by Marauder Miniatures, Not surprisingly, the orc and gobbo ranges matches perfectly with my 4th edition Forest goblins.



Another figure from the heydays of the late 80s and early 90s, it oozes charm. It was also incredibly easy to assemble, being basically a three piece figure (spider head, rest of the body and then the shaman). He's going to be the main magic user in my Forest Goblin army. Once again I found a way to incorporate yellow and orange to tie it with the rest of my army. Most of the spider symbols on my goblins are orange, so I figured it would make sense the sacred spiders from that Forest would be at least partially orange! Still not completely happy with my orange, but it will do.

The second entry for this month is my second (and last) Doom Diver. Obviously subtlety is not required here, so I went with bold yellow for the wings, and a red suit. 





This is the second Doom Diver I paint for the army, and I inverted the colours from my previous one. With two of them, I almost have a squadron of the little crazy kamikaze!


And here is my progress report pic, as requested by that annoying Challenge overlord :



I was hoping to include an infantry regiment for this month, but it has become clear that this will not happen. I've started working on a 30 figure Forest Goblin regiment but there's no way I will finish it in time, and I'd like as much as possible to only submit finished units. Still, for an army I began basically two months and a half ago, I'm pretty happy with the results. Gotta love painting challenges and peer pressure!

So, for this month :
  • 1 Doom Diver : 100pts
  • Forest Goblin Shaman on Gigantic Spider* :  128pts
Total : 228pts

*I cheated a little on the Gigantic Spider, as I used the point value from the 3rd edition rulebook. Why? I wanted to distinguish this spider from the spiders used by the 4th ed spider riders, since it is much bigger and looks more badass (and also sits on a 40mm base). Basically, I count it as a monster instead of just a mundane mount. It is how I intend to use it in game.

15 comments:

  1. They look great! And the orange on the spider is perfect- if it were brighter it would detract from the shaman (who is and should be the focal point!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved doomdivers: they are the quintessence of badassery! The color choice for the gobbos is simply perfect and the overall look is amazing! It will be a great force, Iannick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Andrea! I always agonize over army overall colour scheme, so I'm happy with your comment!

      Delete
  3. Great looking force. Gotta love those horde armies. I'm all about quantity over quality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Quantity is a quality of it's own" (J. Staline)

      Thanks Anthony, hordes do look awesomely great once finished.

      Delete
  4. I like it. A lot of character in this army. I think your plans for the spider sound wholly reasonable. When I ever get around to finishing my Tzeentch army it will be lead by a Lord of Change. I've been thinking on ways to make him essentially a Wizard general, still powerful but not insanely so like some of the later Demon stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean! Use the stats from a daemon prince instead of a greater deamon, much more reasonnable.

      I've been toying with the idea of painting a greater deamon as the monster for the Analogue Challenge. The Lord of Change is still in the running...

      Delete
  5. Awesome. I actually have that spider and gobbo wiz in my archive of miniatures. I liked it way back then and even now. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Note that the Gigantic Spider exists as a monster to be ridden I 4e as well. Its in the monsters section for 50 points 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, didn't think of looking in the monster booklet

      Delete
  7. Such vibrant colours! The scheme really brings out the best in these minis

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog