Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Andrea's wrap-up post: the Chaos Undivided warband finally done!

Hi Guys!

So, we are at the real end of OWAC2. Before to start the presentation of the painted army, let me say that this year’s challenge was particularly satisfying.
First of all, family and professional progressions make the challenge time sweeter, even though a little bit tiring: luckily, this year’s choice was a Chaos warband, notoriously made up by a few figures (and not... it was not deliberate ;-))! 
Second, I have given life to a long waited and desired army: an old style Chaos warband, in fact.
Third, to carry out this project make me knowing more on the vast production of chaos miniatures, something I wasn’t expecting, and especially pieces older than my entering into the Warhammer world.
Last but probably the most important think, and being a veteran it was expected, I really enjoyed the so many wonderfully painted armies as well as the comments and suggestions of you, fellow OWACers!

Well, here is the final list for my Chaos Undivided warband, including the few additions, following the 4th army book:

Characters
Chaos Hero (the army General)................  193 pts
Beatman Shaman Champion....................  134 pts
Beastman Champion................................     60 pts

Regiments
Beastman (x 11).........................................  110 pts
Chaos Warriors (x 10)...............................  240 pts
Harpies (x 5).............................................    75 pts
Dragon Ogre (x 3).....................................  261 pts


Gran total ................................................. 1073 pts

This force is, actually, part of something bigger I would like to assemble (and, hopefully, to play in some battle!). As I already shown in one of the first post, there was already a Chaos Warrior unit (8 men worth) made by champion miniatures only. Well, but this is another story I will show you one day...
Anyway, what I really liked during this OWAC was to (or trying to)
replicate the color choice and the vibe of the old pictures on the White Dwarf magazine: basically, the ones the make me falling in love with Warhammer Fantasy.
 

Now, let’s the show begin! In order to give a more ancient touch to pictures, I used a filter from my phone camera that will be known henceforth as the "Oldhammer filter" (instead of a boring "vivid warm").

 

The army General, an old guy spreading badassery at every step, 
and the Shaman



The retinue: Chaos Warriors, red’n’black unit

The beastman herd, a really composite unit with models ranging from 80s to 90s

 

The harpies, probably the most neglected unit in the painting panorama (and there are good reasons for this...)

The big ones: the three dragon ogres

And the family pict

At the end of the story, I think I have accomplished the mission and it has been rewarding! One thing I am  particularly enjoying of this new army is the homage to the red era of Warhammer and that I have found a decent recipe for the beastmen skin tone ;-)



Me, happy!


Now, the only thing I still have to do is to use the OWAC1 and the OWAC2 warbands and let them fight each other... and, of course, also to start thinking about OWAC3 (you know, in Italy we say that “non c’è due senza tre” which sounds like “there is no two without three”). I already have a project that could bring me along the shores of Ulthuan (settled up about 15 years ago and never really started) or maybe I will let the green waaagh rising. We will see what to do at the right time. 
So, thank you fellow OWACers for your company during this journey. We will probably meet again sometimes, somewhere in the web and I hope to see you all at the next gathering of challengers!

Ciao, A.

10 comments:

  1. Bellissimo! (and I love the word 'Badassery'!) Here we just say 'Why stop now?' Go Chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, and this is all kinds of brilliant!
    Well done Andrea, I'm going to say that the red n' black chaos warrior unit brought back a lot of memories for me :)

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I said on Facebook, grat job, your army is clearly an oldhammer classic !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a nice looking army.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome stuff - it really looks like it is straight out of a WD article :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a black and red chaos fan, i can just enjoy your miniatures and colors. They are all classics and that's because of them that I started warhammer with Chaos :) Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work here! Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great looking army, congratulations and well done. I love the old chaos figures, and your painting really brought them to life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really a very impressive force and bound to be powerful on the table top. Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog