Wednesday, July 24, 2019

James' End Times Gazette

Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, miniatures, destined to drain my bank account for decades and give me a troubled brow.  It is I, their painter alone, who can tell thee of their saga.  Let me tell you of the days of OWAC II.

The end is here!  What a blast.  Putting together a playable undead army for 3rd ed while I got to watch everyone else's amazing collections come together has been a ton of fun.  Aside from actually getting off my butt and finishing a project, this put me in contact with some new manufacturers that I otherwise wouldn't have looked into.  That helped me find a new scifi game that I'm really digging, so there's plenty more on the painting table. These rabbit holes really do go pretty deep sometimes.

Legion of the Dinner Table

Some of this stuff, like the Death Riders, has been sitting around unpainted since Brennan and I started playing with minis back in the BattleSystem days of Middle School, so getting it fully painted and into an army is a real treat.   I took a minute and called my mom to tell her I'd finished painting my Christmas presents from 1994; she was pretty happy to hear that, but she says I'm still not getting any new ones this year. 

I swear we never actually played it properly.

Many thanks to Brennan for coercing me into doing all this work and to the Overlord and the rest of the crew for having me along for the ride.  It's a good group of folks here and I've enjoyed working alongside you all.  
May your dice roll many 6's...except for Ld tests and when you're playing Axis & Allies, of course.

Attempted Andy Chambers Glam Shot

11 comments:

  1. Battle system for the win! I don’t think I’ve ever played that game the right way. Nice work man! It’s great to see that all pulled together. Need a round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! The army has a really nice old school vibe to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work indeed !! You've got a new follower for sure :D
    Could I participate next time ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work. I love your army. Wow, BattleSystem 2nd edition turns 30 years old this year. I still haven't played a game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Battlesystem! The first edition was my introduction to miniatures battles, and contained my first two lead miniatures. My friends and I moved on to several other rule sets (eventually settling into WAB 3rd ed. as our game of choice). But Battlesystem will always hold a place as my "gateway" into the hobby. I've enjoyed seeing your army progress in the past months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work! A nice mix of pieces with a great overall looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, congratulations! Great work, lovingly done :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that quote from the phone call with your mum - so many great OWAC armies involve finishing off childhood projects and the Battlesystem link makes it all the sweeter. Congrats dude :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice army! Congrats on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking army! well done in surviving the marathon of the OWAC II!!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog