Monday, July 15, 2019

Zerotwentythree's Post-OWAC Sea Elf Wrap-Up

I made it!

Normally I don't think this sort of challenge would terribly, er... challenging for me. I don't have quite the painting output I used to, but I can usually maintain a steady pace. But the past few months have been different, with a lot of additional demands on my time.

All the more reason I need to be painting! Painting is my meditation, my escape, my zen. I need more of it. The painting itself wasn't stressful, but at times I did get worried I wouldn't keep up.

I had a plan at the start of the challenge. I knew exactly what my finished product would be, and I knew what I would be painting each month. I'm a typical hobbyist, which means that changed within the first month, and continued to evolve throughout the challenge as I changed my mind, picked up a few additional figures, etc. But I am happy with where I ended up!


The highlight, as I mentioned in my June entry, and the greatest impetus for deciding upon sea elves was using them as an excuse to paint the old Elven Attack Chariot. I rank that as a success. Last minute acquisition of the old bolter and five old Marauder figures was a great morale boost that pushed the final force out from being mired in the old monopose monotony. (Though I'm happy even with those!)

I admit I'm still a little disappointed no one has called me out on the troll. He wasn't part of the plan, but the figure fell into my lap during the challenge, and in spite of being pressured for time, I couldn't NOT paint him, even in the middle of the sea elves. His inclusion in my posts was a joke at first (and not required, from a points perspective), now I'm working him into the background of the sea elf force as a strange if unreliable ally. The fact that he's a marsh troll fits into the Marienburg setting well enough. Maybe his primitive cunning is just enough to manipulate the young and naive elven leadership to his own purposes. Maybe in the face of competition with the Fimir and undead in the marshes, it's as simple as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend," especially since the elves are (far) more content to stay behind the city walls and leave his hunting grounds alone. The story will continue to develop...

So here's my overly dramatic, and probably frightening to many, Warhammer Armies style photo at the dinner table.



And here's the mullet wig that I very nearly bought for the photo, with the idea of keeping a vintage vibe. :)




Galion’s DEF Jam
(Defense and Expeditionary Force, Marienburg Sea Elf enclave)

10 Archers (+1 elite, with long bow, hand weapon, light armour) : 140 points
1 Marine Bolt Thrower (3 crew with light armour & hand weapon) : 60 points
Galion of House Äënäräë (lv. 15 hero) : 128 points
5 Seekers (scouts w/ longbow & hand weapons) : 80 points
27 Spear Elves (spears, light armour, musician, standard): 320 points
Sea Elf Champion (lv. 5 with light armour): 50 pts
Elf Sea Wicth (lv. 10): 118 pts
Small terrain: N/A
1 Warwain with scythed wheels, shield, longbow: 162 pts
1 Marsh troll: 65 pts

1 Secret miniature for Iannick: 25 points

TOTAL: 1,148 points


Sea Elf Addendum

I have the following additions to the force. The command and spear elf will let me either field one bit regiment of 30, or two smaller regiments of 16.

Already Painted:
1 Shore Rider: 26 pts
5 Seekers: 80 pts

Unpainted:
7 Shore Riders (incl. musician): 208 pts 
3 Seekers: 48 pts
Fishelf Mage: 118 pts (or more)
Spear Elf standard & musician: 44 pts
Spear elf champion: 50 pts

I still need to acquire:
1 Spear elf: 11 pts
a bunch of elf shields for the spear unit

TOTAL: 1,708 plus additional equipment, magic, etc. (does not include the 25 pt. credit for Iannik's miniature from above)

I should be able to hit 2,000 pretty easily. Thinking about getting a second bolter or a "drowned maiden" (ghost/spectre) to add as an ethereal host. 

I'm on the fence about continuing to paint the rest of the sea elves right now, or whether to take a break and work on some of the other stuff that's in my painting queue. I've at least started on the standard, musician and champion for the spear elves for the moment.


OWAC 3?

I'm already thinking about the possibility of there being a third Old World Army Challenge, and my participation in it. At this time, the most likely army candidate would be more elves. Wood Elves. I already have the figures, and they're all vintage lead. (Well, one is a token plastic archer.)

Similar to the Sea Elves, they're a smaller element in the bigger Marienburg-centric setting, potentially allies with, but equally rivals to, the Sea Elves. Depending on the greater picture, they could end up on either the same or opposite side of a battlefield.

Other contenders are less likely, either because the figures are much newer, or I would need to collect a bunch of additional vintage figures to get enough for the challenge. (Given the economics of the current Oldhammer hipster and/or hoarder crowds, I'm unlikely to re-acquire old lead.) I'm still planning on doing an "Old Worlder Mercenary and Ally" contingent. Or "pool" to draw from. Sort of like what Dogs of War would be like if they were in 3rd edition/Armies. But I'm afraid most of the figures would end up being of newer vintage.

20 comments:

  1. Cute pic! Were you imitating the troll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, just my trying too hard to look cranky pose.

      Delete
  2. I love it. Now I wish I had picked up those Sea Elves I saw in the flea market at Historicon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend them. they're great minis! (I wish I had more.)

      Delete
  3. Oueff! Good mug shot!
    Lovely work on the elves - good luck with painting the rest of them. (Also, nice inset parade ground) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Long ago I was cleaning out the product samples closet where I worked (architecture office) and came across a cabinet door and thought, "I can make that into a display tray!"

      Delete
    2. And mighty fine it looks too! Great job!

      Delete
  4. That mug shot is going to be tough to beat. Well done on the lovely painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Just realized how crappy the resolution on the army pic is. But at least my creepy face should offset that. Ha!

      Delete
  5. Great looking army and way to close out the challenge. Your pose looks suitably constipated for Oldhammer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was going for cranky oldhammer curmudgeon. Same thing I suppose. :)

      Delete
  6. I thought the inclusion of the Troll was exactly along the lines you have just set out and I absolutely loved it! One of my favourite armies of the challenge this year. Bravo sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very fond of the troll, it was enjoyable to paint.

      Delete
  7. Lovely force, I commend you for picking a rare theme and sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Based on my own ideas as well as the old Warhammer background, the sea elves wouldn't be too different from the other high elves, but I like the idea of trying to get some more sea & nautical themed figures in there. I've continued to try (with no luck) hunting down more of the old Marauder sea elves. Going to see what else I can do to expand the force just a little...

      Delete
  8. Very good looking army, and a nice idea for its composition: I like the background behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on those monopose elves and the attack chariot. That’s a model that is pretty intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They both contributed to making this a "challenge" for me -- haha. Now that they're finally painted, I'm itching to get them into a game!

      Delete
  10. Love this army! Great to see the sea elves painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Me too. Since the point of the Army Challenge is to help get some paint on the participant's unfinished grey hordes, I feel like this was a success for me.

      Delete

Search This Blog