Monday, December 28, 2020

Sam's back once again with some Jungalist Masta's - 2nd Ed. Catachans

Soo much red and green 😎

Hello all, I’m back again. For those new, this is my third consecutive year and entry into the OWAC. Born in the eighties, child of the nineties and a GeeDub Golden Era aficionado. For the last two entries I painted the army I always wanted, but never had the money for Savage Orcs.

Old skool like an ol' fool

This year following the changes to the challenge and in line with my partner in crime AdamH I’ll be taking on some 2nd Ed. 40K. In an opposite mirror to Adam’s story I was raised on 40K and only played the odd games of Warhammer at store events. So this is a return to my roots. 

Before the OWAC changes were introduced Ad and I had already talked about a “what if” and what we would do. For me this includes another army that I always loved and wanted to do justice to: Imperial Guard. Back in the day I played Orks and Blood Angels, hand-me-down armies from my sisters boyfriend who was leaving the hobby. I then got as small Tallarn force for my birthday, and as these were my first self-painted miniatures at 10 years old, I’m sure you can imagine the results... 

Something akin to this classic

So it’s time for a redo, or so I thought. Unfortunately, I don’t have a spare kidney and/or limbs, so Tallarn were out of the question (alongside Mordian and Praetorian, lol). Cadians are too boring (except the lieutenant sculpt, he gets a pass). So in the affordable price range were Valhallans and Catachans, the former due to a recent recasting run and the latter due to being the first out originally and with multiple recasting runs. The decision was made as always by eBay. I managed to pick up a couple of squads and a bunch of heavies and specials, plus characters and some rarer sculpts for like £20. Catachans it is!

The List

Command HQ – 154pts

Captain – Powerfist, Boltgun

Comm-link

Plasma gun

Lascannon team

Command Squad – 89pts 

Lietenant - Boltgun

Flamer x 2

Melta x 2

Heavy weapon squad – 140pts

Missile Launcher team x 2, Mortar team

Squad I – 136pts

Melta, Missile Launcher team

Squad II – 117pts

Flamer, Heavy Bolter team

Ratling snipers (5) – 80pts

Leman Russ Battle Tank – 205pts

Flex spot: Chimera – 140pts; or Hellhound – 165pts; or Demolisher - 190(ish)pts

Overall approx.: 1100pts

I’m also still looking for some bits, a alternate sculpt Sergant, a Commissar, a Primaris Psyker, a couple of figures to make up spare heavy weapons teams (which in turn could make squads), missing sculpts, Ogryns and a metal sentinel if I can get my hands on one. The tanks are also not bought yet as, except the Hellhound option, I can get them straight from GW (the molds haven't changed in 25+ years).

The Platoon

The Grunts

The Brass 

The Specials

The Heavies (& Private Ryan)

The Snipers

"Oi, who left my ride behind!?

Generally speaking, it’s pretty easy for me to take it roughly one squad at a time under the new monthly submission system, so the intention is to play it by ear. For paint job, I’m going to stick to a relatively traditional scheme. Dark green and black camo, white tank tops, red bandannas. And of course the epitome of the golden era, bright red guns! Basing-wise I’m thinking sand colour with flock tufts, sponge bushes and some tropical/dangerous looking plants. Goblin green on the base edges for the throwback touch.


These last few months have been pretty hectic for me from both an at work and an at home perspective, with me and my wife poised to become homeowners for the first time. So the paintbrushes have unfortunately remained firmly at the back of the draw. Of course this year though the sacrificial offering to the Benevolent Overlord looms. So I have only one out to appease our dark master before year's end! In the immortal words of Blue Peter “here's one I made earlier” (if your aren’t British and a boomer, look that shit up).

"Ooogah Boogah Krumpin' Time Boyz!"

This is one I painted last years challenge and one of my favourites, the epitome of the savage orc. The bowman who says fuck it and decides to smash it with a hammer instead. Duly offered to the Darklord.

Other than that looking forwards to all the new entries this year

Peace out

Sam

6 comments:

  1. I love these old models, they are so full of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the selection of figures, should be sweet! And thanks for the orc, I intend to give him some friends in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I've got a both crazy big Savage Orc and Catachan forces too so this really floats my boat. I'll be following with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. I've always liked the heavy weapon teams, and the ratlings too. All the best with these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. that's a lot of minis !! Can't wait to see them painted !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who didn't want to paint a catachan army after seeing Predator? This is going to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog