Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Shadespyre's Lizardmen - June - Wildcard - Baluk's Bane and other strangeness (250 points)

 Wild Card Month

With everything I *needed* for the army finished a while ago, it has remained only to dream up some extra bits and pieces to fill it out a bit and tidy up loose ends. So I found a few models which seemed to fit, only one of which is really part of the army and so worth any points. 

Baluk's Bane

As noted back at the start, the background for Karnac and his raiders is basically a rip off of Tolkien's Moria story, only the Dwarf lord gets eaten by Karnac, not the Balrog. I strongly considered digging out one of my many old Balrogs to add to this army, to play to that theme, but firstly I couldn't decide which to use and secondly since I buggered up my back I can't climb into the loft to look for them. It's something I might come back to.

The next most obvious choice was to include a Very Big Reptile in the army, either a dinosaur or a dragon. My available dinos are all modern plastic models and very, very big, and I wanted to use something old and lead if possible, and more of an Oldhammer scale. Going through my Dragon spreadsheet (I do like Dragons!) I decided a wingless model would seem more subterranean, which sent me looking at old Grenadier dragons because I knew there were a few to chose from. 

My first pick was the Iron Dragon, because it came with Dwarves which it was fighting, but the pose doesn't suit use in an army. And then I found it - my spare Swamp Dragon i.e. the one missing it's long froggy tongue!

One other problem - he comes modelled on a swampy base, not a rocky one, so I had to fix that with a lot of milliput, as well as sculpt a new tongue. And so here he is:

The second picture gives more idea of scale. For colours, I chose to keep him more lizard than dragon, and so used the same palette as the Lizardmen, in bands. A very quick paint job as the same shade and highlight was applied to all the colours to tie them together. The base was much more work than the mini!

Let's says he's a Level 1 Dragon, wingless of course, for 250 points

Purple (and Pink) People Eaters

I promised our Overlord pink, so pink (and purple) he shall have. These are some of the more "exotic" Lizardmen models which I didn't want to use in the main force, so I have painted them in more "exotic" skin tones...


I considered collecting enough of the spear poses to make their own unit, but it would have meant spending another £100+ on minis and I'm not *that* fond of them! I'm still missing a couple of rare poses, I suppose if they turn up I'll add them to this group.

Not a unit, so I'm going to award myself nil points for these. 

Unit Fillers / Bits and Bobs

This little chap has been sitting around my desk for ages, thought I might as well paint and base him to go with this project. Doesn't have a particular role, he's on a cavalry base so he could add two spaces to fill out a unit, maybe?


A few more scenic bits, including a dead Dwarf

It seemed wrong not to use this deceased dwarf here...
And talking of dead Dwarves, how about some Undead Dwarves - if that old Lizardman Witchdoctor is going to be a necromancer, he needs a few corpses?


These are from Midlam Miniatures, they come naked except for weapons so I bent their metal joints a bit to change the poses, then added the shields and some scraps of clothing so that I had something to paint in my three Dwarf cloth colours to tie them to the rest of the army.

All that lot - no extra points (unless using them as unit fillers I suppose)

What Next?

Just the July army shot and a completed army list. It's changed a bit from when I started (mostly by buying more Lizardmen) so it'll be interesting to see what the final points tally is!

9 comments:

  1. A great assortment of stuff well painted. Love the large lizards/small dragons, and that dead dwarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the modified dragon! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dragon addition to the horde of scales! Beautiful pink and purple lizards too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bands on the dragon really are an understated joy, with the lighter belly scales and yellow eye it looks magnificent! All the little mods , such as the rags on the skellies, are great - looking forward to the army shots next month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome paintjob on those two dragons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. I'm pleased with the dragon, in some ways I wish I'd painted all the lizardmen in that pattern! Ah well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning units there. Like the exotic lizardmen, they can be added to whatever unit as fillers and add even more to your usual diverse skin schemes. Looks like the dwarfs met their end against the snappy dragon o' doom, love that center piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do it for the love - not the points! Lovely addition to the force - especially the big reptiles. I reckon Doug McClure wouldn't look out of place next to them ;) The Undead Dwarves are a nice and creepy addition to the army!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great entry, I absolutely love the lizardly dragon and the way you painted it - very menacing and perfect to represent wyrm living in deepest caves. Cool pink lizards and the undead are a great touch! Well done

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog