Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Brennan's Slannuary? - 237 Points

January Slann...  or is is Slannuary?



I'd like to be frank, it has been too cold for my poor Slann.  I've had to keep them in an aquarium in the house and away from the cool mud they love so much.  If I take them away from the heat lamp, just for a little painting, they get quite upset!  I think I was hit by a little dart from a blowpipe one evening...


I needed an easy start to the challenge, read as not too many figures or shields, so I went for the venom tribe and a hero to lead the whole affair.  It seems to have been a wise choice, as Nurgle's blessing has been with the household off and on since xmass, and the hobby time has been minimal.


Also, I am not always the best planner, and I had to blitz paint a 40 man IEF platoon for WW1 right before the start of the challenge.  I'm pretty good as mass painting, 4 days of mostly evening work, and the whole thing was ready to go into action.  We used the WW1 mod for Chain of Command if you were curious.  However, forcing myself to slow down and do some real quality can be a challenge after that.


I went for blue froggies, because I didn't want to do them in green (I did green skin tones last time) and I though having a nice dark blue figure would help make some of the brighter cloths and other elements on the figures stand out. I also wanted natural tones for my Slann.  I wanted to keep a muddy jungle off-white tanny vibe.  There are a lot different influences on the Slann, but the pre-columbian Mesoamerican is certainly the strongest, so I broke out some source material and dug in...


Which was mostly this fine work:





So I present....


Croak Lord Mitzocowatel:


The Venom Tribe:




And the group shot:


That makes:

LV 15 hero with 2 Handed Weapon and Heavy Armor - 117
10 Venom Tribe - 120
For a 237 point kick-off to the challenge.

I hope you like them as much as I do and thanks much for reading the post!

22 comments:

  1. This is going to be a great army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to blend better. Like what you do.

      Delete
  2. I like the blue, excellent start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted a deep blue and I think it works. I could have done Bavarian corn-flower, but that's for another army!

      Delete
  3. Great to see another slann army in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm hope someone else will pick up the slann mantel for round 3

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I like that nice rich shade of blue. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted something a little different but still a touch natural.

      Delete
  7. One of the (many) things I love about this challenge is seeing “forgotten” and/or underrepresented armies like Slann. You’re off to a great start and I’m looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And great old miniatures I forgot had been made. It really is a treat

      Delete
  8. Slanntastic! Slanntabulous! Fantadpolulous! okay this is harder than i thought

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the blue, good poison dart frog color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Im planning on making all the froggies blue. Maybe with different stomachs

      Delete
  10. I salute your Oldhammer Dad Joke, sir. Looking great, buddy. Can't wait to fight these guys. I almost feel guilty bringing all poison-immune models. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll have to make the Dad jokes a theme.

      Delete
  11. What a great start! I can't wait to see the poison fly when you get the rest of the lads painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a good game when we get there. I kinda wanna blitz the army and get the game going.

      Delete

Search This Blog