Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Zerotwentythree's April Wood Elves (1029 pts)

April is traditionally the month I devote to painting giants. I have a thing for collecting and painting giants. Last year, I used my mulligan to help facilitate that and I thought about doing the same again this year.

But I also thought, "well, ents are like giant things that sometimes hang out with wood elves..." and before you know it, I painted a bunch of wood elf OWAC stuff in the first half of the month.



Life Elemental serving as a lv. 15 wood elf mage/forest spirit. Old RP ent. Bear that I I bought a few months ago, but just discovered that I already owned from like 30 years ago so I painted the old one (which was a much crisper and tasty lead-ier casting) because apparently I can not have too many bears now. I will own 99 bears by the end of 2020, and paint them all. Old Ral Partha ent that I painted in a theme inspired more by the Green Man concept than by the idea of an animated tree.





I've been wanting to paint this model for many years... But the wings always seemed an issue for me, visually. I like it as more of a terrestrial tree-beast. Going to count it as an ent. I have other plans for the wings....



Last, an eagle rider. Apparently you can only do this if you're lv. 20 or higher in 3rd ed. Armies. I'll go with that for the point count (though I don't need it this month!) but would probably house-rule to let lower level heroes ride birds in my own games.




I'm calling it quits here. I feel like I did well, and will spend the next couple weeks painting giants.

April's tally:

1 Ent ................. 280 pts
1 Drag-Ent ....... 280 pts
1 Bear ............... 20 pts
1 Life Mage (15)..... 203 pts
1 Hero (20) w/longbow on eagle ..... 246 pts

April Total ............. 1029 pts

Previous Months: 814 pts
OWAC3 Running Total: 1,317pts

12 comments:

  1. Wow! These are great, especially the Drag-ent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you did with the entragon. The bark effect is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that forest dragon-ent. Everything is looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work! Go wood elves!
    How tippy is the metal eagle on such a tall flight stand?(looks great)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really like these! The eagle rider is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all. I've been wanting to paint that drag-ent for many years and finally accepted that since I couldn't come up with a plan for the wings, I could just leave (leaf?) them off and patch the back. The end result reminds me of a woodland Jabberwock.

    As far as the eagle rider goes, like most Mark Copplestone sculpts, it practically paints iteself. Such a clean & uncluttered figure. I buried six large steel washers in the base to counteract the weight of the metal figure up high. So far it seems fairly balanced. My concern it more about the clear plastic rod snapping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The everything looks amazing. I love the eagle and rider though. Must've taken ages highlighting all those feathered. Top work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dragon-ent is really cool. And bears, ya, you can't have too many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some really superb minis and the painting is top notch. My favorite being the treeman. Such nice natural tones of green, yellow and browns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really beautiful work. A brilliantly other-worldy, folklore twist to a Wood Elf army- very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great months work!
    The Drag-Ent and Giant Eagle with rider are real eye-catchers. I'm impressed with the texture you managed to give both of them. Good call on leaving the wings off - it looks better without, and really fits the look and feel of your Wood Elves. Glad you took this approach instead of the mulligan - these are really going to add to the character of your army.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely superb! The Woodland Jabberwock was such a good call and the Green Man colour scheme works so well. Top class :D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog