Thursday, February 8, 2024

PaulM - Mórr's Wild Hunt - R&F month 1

 Well, by the skin of my teeth, I've just about managed to push through with month one. 


I had real issues getting the momentum up on this project, likely impacted by the fact that I'd not followed my own advice from the last OWAC I took part in by completely failing to do any prep-work whatsoever. Leaving me with a pile of lead that all needed cleaning, basing and undercoating - operations that significantly bit into my very limited painting time. Silly boy Pike! 


Regardless, for Month One I'm proud to present:


The Wizened Ones - five Dryads at 175pts


The Pine Glades Kindred - five Wood Elf Scouts 80pts

I made pretty heavy use of Contrast Paints across all of the models this month, combined with an undercoat of Tamiya Hull Red with a white zenithal. This allowed me to only have to spend an hour or so on each figure (which is good, as it's rare I get even that much hobby time in a typical month).

You may notice I haven't finished the basing; mea culpa. I've both not decided exactly what approach I'm going to take, and also spent the last week re-doing my offshore survival course which has leas to me having to catch up on a lot of work in the evenings. I'd also like to make sure they're varnished first, and I'd rather not have to do that every month. I've already started to lose paint off of some of the sharper areas just from general handling.

We've also got our tribute to present this month and I have the below, in glorious gloss British Racing Green and cream, courtesy of its previous owner. He's soon to get a paint-stripper bath and will be presented in all his Chaotic glory next month. 



9 comments:

  1. They look great. Love the warpaint. I really have to look into this contrast paint malarkey, because an hour per mini feels much faster than my base / wash / highlight process.

    As for bases, anyone doing finished bases in Month 1 has a level of confidence that I can't muster, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would use it across a whole mini just 'as is' but in many cases it can at least cover off the basecoat and wash stages in a single step.

      Delete
  2. An hour each! They look brilliant. Big fan of the red detailing on the bows :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dark atmosphere in your project and the warpaint adds an excellent detail. Hopefully you will have less distractions in the coming months

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did originally plan a more vibrant style but my painting has always tended towards the darker end. I quite like the 6th Edition interpretation of Wood Elves as woodland savages and so decided on the red war paint used, sparingly, as a spot colour. Blue Woad might have been more in keeping with the celtic style but would have clashed with the greens I think.

      Delete
  4. Where to start! I love your Dryads. The colors you used are awesome and I love the skin tones you used on the scouts. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been a long time since I painted non-Chaotic or Undead flesh so it's been a bit of a learning curve. I'm not 100% sold on it but it looks 'fine' from 3ft away.

      Delete
  5. Well done for staying in the challenge! Contrast paints (especially on metals) are notorious for needing a varnish otherwise they rub off, so you are not alone in that frustration. The white and red bows on the scouts really pop out and look great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In desperate need of varnish. I don't think I've ever chipped models so regularly as these. The batch I did this month was the same. All I had to do was look at them slightly funny and a new bright silver spot would appear :(

      Delete

Search This Blog