Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Tom's Chaos Dwarfs: Month 5 (a whiffling 240 points)


This is a tease picture for one of the extras. Can y'guess what it is?
I think the finger should be straightened, but it's kinda comedy cool so it stays!
...

This month should see me over the 1000 point mark, which is amazing. Technically speaking I could call a mulligan for the last one and be done. But, rest assured, that ain't gonna happen!
(The last month I think will be used to paint odd models, flesh out units slightly, and maybe add a separate unit of something or other. 200 points of extras 😀 )

Last month was greenskin month, and this month sees a similar theme with the rise of the HOBGOBLIN. Who else is gonna keep those unruly , animosity riddled boyz in check.
The hobs think it's their aUtHoRiTy, but the greenskins know that they're plannin' something sneaky so it's best to stick togevva.

Kicking things off is this regiment of hobgoblin warriors. First up - the timestamp.

And onto the paint!

The back row
The standard and musician

The bosses. There's a lot of boss models, but for the points, only one champion - the guy with the horns!  :)

And the group shot:

I kept their hats as blue and white to tie them more in to the army as a whole, but to be honest I think they're so iconic and the red scales would've tied them in anyway. The eyes on these were a pain!
I did an experiment with the shields where I left the blue colour plain and flat. Usually I try and slightly graduate the colour into a darker blue (or, I guess,  lighter blue!). I wanted to see what the unit would look like without the shade. I think it's worth the extra time to put a gradient in the shield, but I'll leave these as is for now and try to do future shields with the fade.
Hat's off to dwarf lord Iain Aitken (darkblade) who was the influence behind the shield 'fade'- from way back in the OWAC2 :)
I also got the colour scheme for the shields, not from the army book but from Tom Evans. 
His current progress on his Chaos Dwarf Big Hats are posted up on his instagram: LINK  

So that's
14 Hobgoblins (including champion, standard and musician) for 97points

Next up is a thrower of bolts. Enter - the Bolt Thrower

I'm very pleased at how this came out. It wasn't the easiest thing to build but to be fair, once I finally put some colour on it, it came together very quickly.

42 points for 1 Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

Finally, a unit of been looking forward to painting - Hobgoblin Wolf Riders!
I looked forward to them, mostly for the plastic wolf. I've memories of trying to paint them - the wolves - for my orc and goblin collection as an early teenager, and dismally failing. Undoubtedly I painted straight out the pot, slapped it on, and had no patience to let things dry before drybrushing... Unfortunately, all my GW stuff from way back then didn't make it through a house move, but I'd like to think someone else had many happy years with all those models through a charity shop buy!

Soooo, there's a couple of wolf riders I didn't get round to. (They might be completed in the last month, as it would be a shame not to paint the remaining ones!). Here's their timestamp:


And here to kick things off is the standard bearer:

And some boyz...
The champion (so far - he might get relegated next month...)


And the group shots!


(Nuts how the lighting affects the photos!)

I ummed and ahhed over tying the shield in with the banner a bit more by painting some red flames underneath the axe transfer (again taken from a 40k Ork decal sheet). Maybe next month if I paint the remaining wolf riders...

101 points for 5 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders (inc champion and standard)

That pretty much finishes this month.
Except.
For.
This.
Jabberwock!*


Here's another picture under some different lighting conditions..


* stand in cockatrice :)

Here also is his big brother, painted in a frenzy after finishing this guy 👆. 
His base is a square one.
I guess I'd incorrectly based the littler dude on a cavalry base.... Anyhow. Done. Dusted. On to the pictures!

And in full, glorious, Technicolor...


Jazz hands! 

I loved painting these two. They both took a day each - as in a single day, all painted in a frenzy. There've been some amazing colour schemes in the OWAC and undoubtedly it's had some influence on my own painting. I don't think I would have chosen a multicoloured scheme for these jabbers if it were not for them :)
The one unit in particular that has had a lasting impression is Joe's awesome unit of Chaos Beastmen.

Check them out here: LINK

I love everything about them!
(As an aside one of the jabberwocks is still in production and is about £8 from Ral Pathar Europe - the tall guy with the jazz hands: LINK)

Where you find orcs and goblins, inevitably you find a troll or two. With the influence of chaos, here's a nice chaos-tainted troll :) 
(mostly I remember him by an appearance in a white dwarf where there was a tomb. I think it was dwarfs, a wood elf, some undead and this troll was in a tomb which housed something belonging to the dwarfs...or something)

It's very tempting to paint the fur cloth as a tiger skin, but I chickened out...

I think I'll get rid of that scuff of paint on the front of the base. Probably add more grass.

All the monsters together! I'm super chuffed with them, and although they took a long,  furloughed day each to paint, there was probably still too many hours spent on them so burnout is probably looking over my shoulder right about now... 
Hopefully I can have a bit of a rest and crack right back on it!


I also painted up this goblin, so that I can reconfigure the unit to be 4 ranks of 4. 



aaanyway...Next month should hopefully see some rounding out of units and maybe some soopa sneaky extras :)

As a curio, here's that picture again from my OWAC introduction post, showing what my army plan was.
Things changed, other units I had no idea I'd paint were added, things I dreaded I enjoyed, and things I thought I'd love, I've hated. But such is the nature of chaos...

And what it looks like right now - all these have been painted, plus those surprise extra units (not pictured)!

Naturally, I save the completed army shots for the final month.

WHICH IS NEXT MONTH!! 

Holy moley, it's gone quick. 
There are a crazy amount of fantastic looking OWAC armies this year which I'm really looking forward to seeing completed!
Anyway - until then here's the standard breakdown

May:
97...14 Hobgoblin Warriors inc. standard and champion
101...5 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders inc standard and champion
42...1 Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

Extras
2 x Jabberwock (stand in Cockatrice)
1 x Troll
1 x Goblin

A total this month of 240points!


April: link
Goblins
Orcs
Earthshaker Cannon

March: link
Warriors
Lamassu
Bull Centaurs

February: link
Bull Centaurs
Bull Taurus

January: link
General
Death Rocket

Intro: link

Stay safe everyone, and keep on keeping on!

18 comments:

  1. These are just stunning work. I can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully there'll be some crackers next month :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing work but it is only the 12th!! You are making the rest of us look bad with your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, cheers! After every post ours always a worry whether I'll be able to paint enough for the next one. Fortunately, the first month was only two or three models, so I did paint up a regiment to keep on reserve. I've run out of reserves now, but hopefully I've got enough time to do the remaining models justice!

      Delete
  3. Incredible work on the hobgoblins! I love the models and those are spectacular! Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you for the kind words - they are vet motivating :)

      Delete
  4. All that for 240 points?!? Lovely minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessir! I usually just try and count what would fit in the 1000 point army list, and anything else is an uncounted extra.

      Delete
  5. Awesome work! The jabberwocks are particularly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Jabberwocks are fantastic! :D

    And the basing works brilliantly well for the HobGob contingent and Warmachine. Top stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Half of me wishes I'd lined them up before basing and painted the bases so they're all linked, but hell!

      Delete
  7. Jabberwocks is superb! I like it very much

    ReplyDelete
  8. so much....so good.....so how the hell do you manage it??? Seriously mate, soooooooooooo lovely looking its almost drool inducing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Cheers. Fortunately, my paint station is really easy access (it's in the living room), so it's super easy to put a bit of paint on every day whist the other half watches some telly. It soon adds up!

      Delete
  9. Those jabberwocks and troll are awesome! You've managed to pick out so much detail from the sculpts and this is easily the bravest choice of colour palette I've seen for these models, but it works so well - they look so chaotic. Stunningly good!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog