Sunday, February 23, 2020

Tom's Chaos Dwarfs - Month 2... a load of bulls (200points)

Month two sees me put off finishing the rank and file chaos dwarfs I had planned, and start afresh on what proved to be a super enjoyable painting experience!
CHAOS DWARF BULL CENTAURS
I loved it!

Assembly was a bit of a nightmare. I used Gorilla two part resin glue to stick the two halves of the body together, drilled a hole in the torso and the body for a pin, and then some more resin to glue the two together, and milliput to plug the worst of the gap-age (although it wasn't too bad to be fair).

Contrast paints were used everywhere again - apart from the base. Here's a quick breakdown, although I'm afraid I don't have any pictures:

Body: two coats of Flesh Tearers Red. Highlight with VMC Clear Orange, highlight with VMC Clear Orange and P3 Cygnus Yellow
Tail and Hooves: Black Templar, then Leviadon Blue, highlight with a mix of Talassar Blue and VMC Ivory
Armour scales: Blood Angels Red, drybrush with Hexos Palesun, 'drybrush' again with Iyanden Yellow
Armour trim/belt: two coats of Black Templar, highlight with VMC French Mirage Blue, highlight again with a mix of French Mirage and VMC Ivory
Beard/Hair: Black Templar, Terradon Turquoise, highlight with a drybrush mix of Terradon and VMC Ivory
Skin: Fyreslayer Flesh, highlight with a mix of Fyreslayer and VMC Ivory. Sometimes a tiny bit of Hyish Purple or Flesh Tearers Red as a kind of thin glaze in the cracks.
Hat: two coats Black Templar
Arrows: Blood Angels Red faded into Iyaden Yellow
Hat Trim: Talassar Blue, highlighted with TempleGuard Blue and a mix with VMC Ivory
Gloves: two coats Hyish Purple, highlight with a mix of old GW Liche Purple and VMC Ivory
Weapon Handle: Two coats of Caliban Green
Weapon Head: Black Templar, VMC Gunmetal Grey, highlight with VMC Silver
Gold: Black Templar, VMC Old Gold
Base: Mordant Earth (here I forgot to do it, but I've been putting a wash of Flesh Tearer Red down first, just in case the cracks work)
Lava: Blood Angels Red, highlight with VMC Clear Orange and a mix of the orange and P3 Cygnar Yellow - maybe add a little VMC Ivory
Base Trim: At least three coats of Loren Forest.

I pumped for all black hats instead of the blue/white split, as these guys are extra darkside.
 
Here's a pic of the finished bulls :)


And the timestamp:



I did tease that I was painting these bulls on the ChaosDwarfsOnline Facebook page. Here's the picture I posted:


You can just about make out their tails to the left of the red glue top - the warror was just a red herring :)

Aaanyway…

Here's the individuals - although there are two sets of twins..
The standard bearer and the guy on the far left are on the painting table to be finished, but I'm just plodding around them for now...










That there completes my months quota. At 40 points each they total a nice neat 200points :)
With such a small model count this month, I hope to be able to paint up a few more EXTRAS for March, although to be fair I do have a weeks holiday planned... anyway, speaking of extras:

In keeping with the bull theme I did also paint this GREAT BULL TAURUS - as alluded to in my sign off from last week :) …

 




I had to do a little milliputting along the wings. They are held in place with the two part resin glue, and the head is pinned. There's a little pin hole made on the neck, ready for the rider...


Speaking of a rider - here he is!




I think one of the photos has been 'autocorrected' on my phone btw... The lighting is better this time around, I must've angled the light right! Again, my photos are usually hurriedly taken, generally whilst there's still some wet paint or glue around. I balance a lid or a flat magazine on to of all the paint sta... Actually, here...here's a pic. This is it in all its glory:


I just have to angle the painting light with one hand and click away with the phone camera with the other...

Anyway:
"Shields!", I hear you cry, "What about the shields?"
They'll be done at a later date (I hope). I do have them, but I've neglected to undercoat them and it's been either too wet, too windy or too dark!
I did think about ordering some oldschool shields with a sculpted face for them (from the excellent Knightmare Miniatures, LINK, Greenskin Wars range), but I will stick to the plain shields as I need to use what I've got, rather than buy more metal.

The rider is missing his banner, I know. I do not own the proper pole for him, but maybe I could fudge one out of a rogue skull and some wire. I might wait and see if he stands out without it first though.

Yup, I think that's all for this month. It's been a great, enjoyable month of painting, although I am feeling the drudge of the rank and file right about now so hopefully painting a few Chaos Dwarf oddities first will pull me out of the rut.

Cheers y'all - see you in March - if the winds blow right :)

February:
200...Bull Centaurs x5
EXTRA: Great Bull Taurus with Chaos Dwarf rider

January: link
160...Chaos Dwarf General
75...Chaos Dwarf Death Rocket

Total Points so far: 435

14 comments:

  1. These are incredibly gorgeous! I do love bull centaurs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of the tall hats or big hats or whatever. But these guys kick-ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on those Tom, really lovely painting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beards and bases. Love them both and that Bull Tuarus is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work. They all turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great work there - especially the Great Bull Taurus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great painting again. I love the contrasting colors, and I really like the way you highlight the dark/black colors (beards, taurus wings...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Classic miniatures! The bull centaurs look really good. They must be hard to rank no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Yes they are!
      There's two more to squeeze in at a later date. I've found one configuration in which they do all line up, which is a relief!

      Delete
  9. The glossy red hides of those bull centaurs/taurus is great and works so well against the colder blue-black tones you are using. Lovely work :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like that you will have a bunch of large figs in an army of short guys with tall hats! Great paint work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For funsies, I put them into the local (Cardiff) GW's monthly paint 'comp'. Not even a podium finish, but hopefully at least they were seen and who knows - maybe even inspired someone? (which is the whole point of putting them in there.)
    I'm sure when I was young, the stores used to have a shelf dedicated to customer models and I used to make a bee line for it.
    It was always good looking at the cool ideas, or well executed paintjob/convershuns/dioramas.
    I guess times have changed (or well certainly in Cardiff)…

    Anyhow - I'm putting off painting models... laters
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog