Monday, January 27, 2020

Tom's Chaos Dwarfs - Month 1 (235 pts)

Hello! I post this picture first, so I have a nice thumbnail picture :)


Sooo… since I last posted I got round to stripping the last of my models. 
I lightly scraped off the heavier mould lines on them and glued them down on their bases. Then a mighty session of undercoating ensured, using Wraithbone spray from GW. Maaaaan, there's not a lot of paint in them there cans. I used.... A LOT. Of cans. 

I then did a pre-paint photograph of them using my phone, and a timestamp (the paper with the date on). No accusations of jumping the gun here please!

Anyway, the plans of painting rank and file and finishing with a treat model went right out the window as I straight up painted the Army General first. You can see a couple of his buddies there waiting to be painted, who are EXTRAS for another month if I can get round to them. By the way,  the guy on the right with the jaunty hat is my favourite Chaos Dwarf model :)



And here he is all painted up, bless his little cotton socks!








I used contrast paint everywhere. I think the only non contrast paint was a yellow, a cream and a white, and a green for the sides of the base. The base top is GW Mordant Earth, which I brought on a whim and I might as well have brought some regular black paint. Anyhow...  Grass is static grass glued on, rather than the tufts I used for the OWAC2, and the stones are... well, stones. Banners have been printed on regular A4 paper, with a thin bit of card glued in the middle for some extra chonk.

With these zoomed up on pictures it's really horribly apparent where I've mislaid the paint, or not covered the undercoat, or marked the banner. It's unlikely I'll go back and correct these, because I like my sanity. It is completed - not perfect.

By the way, massive thank you to chaosdwarfsonline user Malorndk, who has studiously recreated the Chaos Dwarf banners in photoshop, and uploaded some lovely high res images which printed out incredibly well from my local internet café! His precess and the banners themselves are to be found here: LINK


Next up is this Death Rocket!


Although I did only manage to paint two crew...


The picture above had an 'autocorrect' done by my phone. In contrast, the picture below doesn't...



And here they are, starkly lit, for the group shot!




I'd like to think that there is an easier way of painting these little blighters. I am constantly having to touch up the undercoat to put the next layer of paint on, but to be fair I think they have turned out quite nice and, although I feel they could be brighter, I'm still very pleased with them!

I thought the blue/white split in their hats and clothes would link back in nicely with the OWAC2 regular Imperial dwarfs - they're the same...but...different! It is, however, really not the quickest paint scheme around!

As a bit of an aside, I did paint up a Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl team last year - right on the tail end of completing the OWAC2. Mostly so I could try out the colour scheme I had roughly in mind and also to see whether I could stomach painting a whole army of 'em. Here's a picture for your curiosity:


For me, the bases haven't worked here. I think I over did it a bit, but they'll do. So, learning from this, I adjusted the basing a little bit for the army, and just painted on a bit of lava. It's OK, but not AMAZING like the basing on this inspiring army from Ishkur: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/army3.php

Anyway, this brings me over the 200point quota for this month, so right now I am trying to paint the originally planned rank and file ready for February. Hopefully an EXTRA (or hopefully two) will be painted with the leeway time gained too,
and at some point I'll do a step by step for a Chaos Dwarf Warrior.
I like seeing the picture progressions :)

Until then, may the wings of the Great Taurus carry you safely!

160...Chaos Dwarf General
75... Chaos Dwarf Death Rocket
235...Points Total

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful general! I especially like all the helmets! And Chaos Dwarves are probably my favorite Blood Bowl team (I have many) You will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE banners, the army general looks the part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting use of blue, it changes from the usual color scheme associated with the big hats dwarfs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love a good big hat. I also have the Blood Bowl team to paint! Going to spend some time looking at yours. What's the team name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hashut's Haranguers! (Or Harriers, I'm undecided - they're unblooded on the field, but that should change this year :) )

      Delete
  5. Wow...these are straight from the pages of White Dwarf!! not my favorite Chaos Dwarf figures...but your paint jobs are likely to change my mind!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belting paint job. I never really took to these figures to be honest, but your paint skills really make them pop! 👌

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the look of the chaos dwarves. Happy to see you work on them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great colors. I like the use of the blue & white split. Subtle detail, but the gradient on the artillery crew beards is really nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the subtle blue worked into those hats. Big hats are everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting take on these with the blue and white - I find the same issues with contrast paints, not sure I'm that much of a fan at the moment but you have got some good results there and the little touch of lava on the bass works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ace! It sounds like an arduous process as you say, but the results are great. Fantastic job on some of my favourite figures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh, you gguys - thank you for the kind words! It is very motivating :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is only one thing I love more than Big Hat Chaos Dwarves and that is Big Hat Chaos Dwarves painted in colours so bright they could illuminate the room, fucking brilliant! Give me more, every month, well looking forwards to it

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog