Monday, April 30, 2018

Iannick's Stag's Spida Rida (170pts)

Spiders so large they appear to be wearing the pelts of small mammals.

Excuse my language, but FUCK YEAH! Here's my last unit of Gobbos for the first edition of the OWAC, 10 Spider Riders!

I really worked overtime to get these guys done in time, and I really mean that! Due to work commitment, I couldn't start on these until two weeks ago to the day, which means that I painted 20 figures in 14 days. That's probably my record. They are not as nice as my last few units, they lack some details and highlights, and I had to cut some corners, but I was expecting worse! Now looking at the pictures I'm satisfied with them.


As usual for anyone who knows me, I went with bright colours for the spiders (I can't help myself), but used cold colours of pinks and purples to contrast them to the rest of my "hot trio" of Red/Orange/Yellow of my army colour scheme (as you can see on the clothes, feathers, etc.) I like the contrast it makes, and these guys really pop! The shields are the plastic shields from the 4th edition plastic spearmen gobbos, nice shields really, it gives a bit more style to the unit.



Now I did a mistake in the painting process; I painted the riders separately from the spiders. Big mistake. These guys are really difficult to pose and glue, so I had to go back and fix some of the spiders to erase some of "white" glue traces (because I had time to do that!). Also, I really should've pinned them. They hold fine, but I don't think these guys would survive a trip across border lines, for example.




Nevertheless, they are going to fight many a battles in my gaming room, for sure! 

In the last two months, I've submitted 43 gobbos and 10 spiders! That's 53 figures in a 61 days period! I'm completely spent! Like, I can't feel my right arm (growing old sucks).

Oh yeah, points tally :

- 9 spider riders, including musician and standard, equipped with lances, shields and bows : 132pts
- Stag, Big Boss on giant spider, equipped with shield : 38pts

Total : 170pts

As a final comment,  I'm now the proud owner of a completely painted and based 1010pts army of Forest Goblins, and that's what the OWAC was all about! Congratulations to all those who finished, it was a difficult and long ride, but oh so worth it! Now I'll go pour myself a drink, give me a few days to relax, and then on to the final glorious post with the army shot, as well as my thought on my challenge, and the first edition of what I hope will be a longstanding and yearly event.

Cheers all,
Your Benevolent Overlord

28 comments:

  1. Wow, you really finished with a bang there! Wonderful colors. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, purple spiders! And I'm NOT stoned or drunk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What, Spiders are not purple in Australia?

      Delete
  3. Great looking unit. Almost makes me want to do 4th ed goblins. I had the same issue with my Knights, I did end up pinning them and green stuffing the gaps between saddle and mount. It does feel good to have a playable army out the back end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean! I only recommend painting Goblins to the clinically insane!

      Delete
  4. Really well painted and eye catching unit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ending entry to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some bold color choices! The models turned out looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work. Gobbos is alot of painting. Being on the other end of the point spectrum(chaos) I can't imagine painting them all. Well done Sir, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes someone really insane, or stupid, to paint goblins on a deadline!

      Laurie thinks I'm both

      Delete
  8. Fantastic work Iannick! And I totally agree - painting riders separately
    from the mounts is a path to madness...

    These guys look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work. Love the bright colors

    ReplyDelete
  10. best looking group of spider riders that I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely jitter critters, nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressive! Great color choice for those wild things

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog