Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Brennan's February Slann or the Frog Men Cometh! (226 points)

Ere we go, ere we go, oh wait, wrong game and wrong army all together!  Sorry, that happens to me when I paint a bit of green!  Oh I know, I know, made the Slann blue and not green, but the game master said it was ok...  And the scouts have green shields!

This month I decided to tackle the biggest unit and some extra figures to make up the points.  Seeing as it was the shortest month of the challenge, this was not the wisest decision, but I got there in the end.

The most significant hurdle this month was the variety of the castings.  The Slann were not a huge range and the figure options in some of the units can get a bit limited.  Just wait till I get the unit of 15 Eagle warriors done.  All one casting....  It's worse than napoleons! I might as well declare them clones and give them blasters....  But that's a challenge for another month.

I tried to keep the colors and the other elements of the unit of Slann Braves fairly consistent, which gives the illusion of a limited about of uniformity.  In another list, in another time, these may serve as unit of Bull Slann, but that's a wicked maybe.

The images below should show some of the color combos I used to give an air of uniformity.  I mixed in some less armored and commanding fellows.  Just to give it some contrast from the suit wearing more professional warrior types, which are to come in the following months.




I've also decided to give a little heraldry to the army and use a stylized leaf as a general symbol for the army.  The standards are going to be a mix of cloth and feathers.  The feather standards will all have some sort of stylized sun.  The lad are cold blooded after all!

The scouts below carry on the stylized leaf but in a green/black combination.  I was also surprised to see the scouts in pants, but hey even frogs need to protect the under carriage.



And before we get to the final points for the month, lets have group shot.



So!  for February we have:
16 Spawn Band with Standard = 170 Points
4 Scouts with Poison and Shields = 56 Points

For a monthly total of 226 points!

11 comments:

  1. Awesome shields! The force is growing nicely, love the old Slanns

    ReplyDelete
  2. what fun sculpts and great painting. especially like the shields

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s great seeing painted Slann and the emblem on the shield is very well executed. Also, congrats on your productivity in such a short month. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the heraldry, and still think the blue looks great. I think the pants were something that was just taken straight from the historical source material. But maybe you could call it a water retaining material to keep their amphibious bodies hydrated? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and I love the colors on the standard bearer and the shield design. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slaans are nicely coming together. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! Slann are a force I've not seen too many examples of and I like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen a Slann army until about 2 years ago when I saw one in a basement of a fellow collector. He was liquidating some collections and I needed a few goblin and dwarves. He had a crazy impressive collection and then he pulled out a box with a Slann army. They looked so much better than I though they would. Anyway, an opportunity came up and I bought an army. I've done some additional purchasing to bulk it out and make it my own, but...

      Delete
  8. Late to the party, great Slaan. I really like your leaf heraldry, nice way to tie things together.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog