Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Merijn's League of Legendary Liches in April (176 pts)

"Connect ogre femur A to crossbeam C and you're ready for reanimation" Harold mumbled under his breath as he read the instructions on the piece of parchment he taped to the mouldering construction in front of him. The instructions were of little use and the little diagram Ignatio had drawn only added to the confusion.

He took a step back to admire his handiwork. With a sinking feeling, Harold realised something looked off. The ranks of skeletons stood in silent judgement. "You connected ogre femur A to crossbeam B" a ghoul helpfully pointed out. Hissing in frustration Harold kicked the contraption which promptly collapsed, sending one of it's wheels rolling down the hill towards the distant village of Beeckerhoven. 


Gloomily Harold stared at the ghastly mob of onlookers as the affable ghoul slunk back into their ranks. At least the horrors had worked out great. Haunted by the ghouls and ghosts, the peasants of Beeckerhoven suffered dark dreams and restless nights. Feeding off their night terrors, the ranks of the horrors had more than doubled.


This month was spend bulking out the night horrors. With a lot of help from the nice folks in the Oldhammer Trading Company on Facebook I managed to get their numbers up to 20. They're starting to look like a proper regiment.

I'm not much of a painter but I think the simple paint jobs and group effect really works. I've noticed that as I get older and my eyes get worse, my paint jobs get brighter and brighter.

A mob of night horrors
From up above

It's been a pleasure painting a regiment where every model is unique. Not a single one of these guys feels generic. The wraiths, for instance, are entirely ethereal, no skulls, not even hands to hold their weapons. Just a shapeless cloak.

I find ethereal creatures surprisingly difficult to paint well. Not a fan of GW's glowy green.
This devil might be my favourite out of the bunch
This miniature is labelled as a ghost in the catalogue but he gives me a strong insane hermit vibe
Werewolves seem surprisingly rare in Warhammer's lore. I always wondered why.

Utini!
Big fan of the candy coloured wraiths that were prominent during the 90s.

Tried to go for a Japanese Oni kind of demon

Love the cliche of a vampire rising from a pool of blood
All in all I added 12 night horrors to the roster. As mentioned before, the night horrors will be used as ghouls. To make up the extra points, I also added a screaming skull catapult.

Most embarrassingly, I managed to assemble the darn thing wrong and it took me far too long to realise what the problem is. On the upside, metal mini's disassemble easily. So no harm done.

The knee bone connects to the... uhm

Add caption





That puts this months points at:

96 pts (12 x 8) worth of ghouls
76 pts (1 x 76) screaming skull catapult

Total: 172 points
Overall total: 564

Those of you keeping track will have noticed that I'm consistently short on points. Well, that changes next month as it's time for me to get to work on some characters. Those Liche's don't come cheap.

11 comments:

  1. Actual LOL at Utini!
    They look great - the Vampire is my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the night horrors, especially the hermit ghost and oni! Looking forward to the liches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool, them all together like that. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job, in painting AND collecting! I love that this unit is so unique

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trippin' assed unit! And cool skull launcher too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice colors and hilarious background story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the Monsters squad to me ... Hey you guys can i be part of your monsters squad???
    My favorites are werewolf and vampire.
    Sybou

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! very old school, from the model choice to color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A whole unit of Night Horrors is quite something. Bravo sir! :D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog