Friday, July 19, 2019

Brennan and the Final Frog Leg...

Well!  this is my second OWAC and it has been a great ride.  I've had a wonderful opertunity to paint an army that I never thought I would own and actually get a game in with it.  All round a wonderful oldhammer success! And a big thank you to to the over-lord for leadership, cheerleading and being an overall solid leader.


My childhood wargaming didn't involve Warhmmer Fantasy until I was a little older, maybe 14/15.  By that time, 4th edition Warhammer was the newest, greatest thing, and I missed out on the Slann.  I knew about Space Slann from RT, but I was a little too obsessed with Imperial Guard and Orks (with a k) back then to dig into where the idea for those froggy fellas came from.  Later, as my love of old minis turned to the games I hadn't played.  When I realized what I had missed and promptly did the old eBay search for Slann.  I then learned that, somethings would have to wait. But luck was on my side, about 12 years later, I got an opportunity to buy a Slann army at a very decent rate.  I begged and bargained with my spouse and viola!  I now have a bounty of frogs!





What's that? You played a game with them, how'd it go?  I hear you asking.  It went OK. Short version, I lost.  I played against undead.  We played 3rd edition warhammer and used the lists from Warhammer Armies.  We played around 1200 points, so small armies.  I had what was painted at the time, without anything in the realm of a magical upgrade.   Well what does that mean?  Lots and lots of frog infantry!  What I think the army needed was a few more heroes and some cav and light stuff to screen the main advance.  I felt like my flanks were too vulnerable and I didn't have the material to strike out at new developments.  I didn't role the best spells, but there are ways to mitigate that risk too (rings, rings for everyone!).  I also think I need some cheaper, points wise, support troops.  So I'm going to add:
2 units of 8 cold one riders (5 were painted last month)
1 unit of 20 braves
1 more wizard on palanquin
1 unit of two animal handlers with 6 cold one hounds
1 unit of two animal handlers with maybe 5 saber tooth's

The cold ones will get go up the middle, supported by infantry and the hounds will just try to get in the way.  I've have more hounds, but getting them is challenge, unless I just use alligators from the foundry or something like that.

I'd also love another unit with blowpipes.  That is going to take some serious patience to acquire.

So here's what I did:
LV 15 hero with 2 Handed Weapon and Heavy Armor - 117
LV 15 Wizard on a Litter - 199
15 Eagle Warrior with 2 handed weapons and a standard - 240
15 Alligator Warriors w 2 handed weapons and a standard - 208
16 Span Band with shield and standard - 170
10 Venom Tribe - 120
5 Scouts with poison and shields - 70
5 Cold One Riders w/ Light armor and shields - 185
For a total of 1309

A huge congrats to all the competitors who attempted and completed the challenge.  This is one of the best groups I have ever had the pleasure of working with in wargaming and I hope the OWAC continues for many years to come!

16 comments:

  1. Slann. Proper Oldhammer. Nuff said. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on complete an entire army. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might have lost, but I didn't beat you. Not even cold blood can save you from rolling box cars on psych tests. >_< Great job putting the army together; they really do look great on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s was fun game but it was a loss. I hadn’t managed to err destroy but a handful of your figs. You learn more from a loss than a win anyway. Plus you don’t play 3rd if your goal is a win :)

      Delete
  4. Great seeing this go from spawn to tadpole and now a giant frog. Brilliant, and all the best with future games :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Slann army is so very, very cool. I hope you get to paint what is needed to protect your flanks in the OWAC III!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I have other plans for that. Plus I’ve been informed that I’m expected to have all the froggies done before the end of the year or I’m to be declared a hoarder. This, obviously, did not come from another wargamer!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome mini map very nice looking but i find my favorite plastic warrior Ninja Turtle visit here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really a cool army and great looking all gathered!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing painted Slann armies and yours looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cool army and it's nice to see pics of a battle. They really look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your army. Great colors, painting, and seeing a Slann army on a table is always cool. Glad to see you got a game in with them already.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog