Thursday, April 2, 2020

Zerotwentythree's March Wood Elves (242 pts)

For March's goal, I planned to paint 10 wardancers with double handed weapons. But I found an extra, so it's 11.

In keeping with the grimmer & darker ;) theme for the wood elves, I wanted to do something to make them look more like acrobatic huntsmen/huntswomen than prancing treehuggers. So I took inspiration from the Conan film and Kevin Dallimore's use of the same look on the Harii (Ancient German tribe) he painted years ago. Thus...


Not my best work, but I'm pleased with how they turned out!

March's tally:

11 Wardancers w/double handed weapons ...... 242 pts.

(...242... great, now I've got Headhunter stuck in my head)

Previous Months: 572 pts
OWAC3 Running Total: 814 pts




I've got to admit, this month was hard. I think it's a combination of a lot of things. I just wasn't "feeling it" in terms of sitting down and painting. I had a few days where I just sat down, stared at things for a bit, and then got up. Work stress, worldwide pandemic and all that brings with it, personal health concerns, storms last night knocking out the power and inches away from flooding the basement where my painting table and minis are located!

I feel like I'm fighting to keep my self together some days. Painting has been hard, but I've taken time for some other positive outlets. Fired up the grill for the first time this year. Finally played another one of the solo games I've been planning (Sellswords & Spellslingers - 4 games, in fact) with my Oldhammer figures. Sot it's not all doom and gloom and the apocalypse.




Looking to next month, I'm not sure what's going on. I'd like to keep working on the OWAC. But April is traditionally my own personal giant painting challenge month ("Big April.") Last year I took my mulligan in April to paint giants. This year I was thinking of combining Big April and OWAC in a sense -- paint an ent. They're giant sized creatures, right? Plus I may still be able to work on one or more giants as well.

Or maybe next month the seas will turn to blood, the alien invasion will begin, or... I have no idea anymore. So I'm going to take it day by day. But there's a strong possibility of ent.

18 comments:

  1. They look great to me...love the war paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your struggle through the month of March was worth it - these look fantastic. You hit the grim and dark look on the head. These wardancers would scare anything out their forest.
    You're giving lots of ideas and inspiration for when I get round to painting my Wood Elf force (OWAC 4, maybe? 🙂) , so keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These guys look so good, mate. Absolutely cannot tell that you weren't feeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look hard as nails - the Conan warpaint is an inspired idea - nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. +1 for the warpaint - looks aces!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wardancers look great! Do the ent, please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving these! and I agree with Lissanne, do the Ent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nailed it is an understatement. Even if you did not mention Conan I would have thought Conan. LOVE the models. I used the same ones in my Wood Elf army last OWAC. Keep up the great work and keep grilling, it's good for the soul (not to mention the stomach).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job for having such a hard time getting into the painting groove this month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent idea, these warpaints!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the warpaint of the faces and overall they look fantastic in that color scheme

    ReplyDelete
  12. excellent work. March has been pretty rough for me, too. And I have a feeling April is going to be worse

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best looking and most original elves I've ever seen. Love the warpaint ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous dark looking Wood Elves, and I love the nod to Dallimore's Ancient Germans though I wasn't previously aware of it. I do love thought like that in people's work. Totally hearing you with how difficult it has been recently. Getting a grill on and some solo games in sounds like a perfect antidote - keep at it brother! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Working my way through everyone's entries this month in chronological order and just came up to my own & read through all the comments above. Thank you to everyone who's read & replied. I'm flattered by the kind comments and how well the figures were appreciated.

    Reading through the other entries so far (and some of the replies here) I'm glad for the camaraderie and hope we can all pull through the stress of the pandemic, and the challenge of the OWAC together. I'm looking forward to the rest of this months entries, as well as next months! Stay safe, stay healthy, and don't forget which is the paint water cup and which is your tea/coffee/booze!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a treat to follow! Well done everyone!

    Is it too late to jump in and join the challenge? :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog