Monday, June 22, 2020

Jeff McC's Wood Elves - June (646 Points)

Achievement unlocked: Paint all the things!  All the wood elves in my collection are now painted.  So as long as I can resist buying more, I just need to finish my dwarves, dark elves, orcs, goblins........anyhow you get the idea.  

Right, so photos of June's production.  I ended up adding 2 more models to the 24 I had identified in March for a total of 26 this month. First up, the Lord's Bowmen.  Particularly pleased with how the hero's bird turned out.



11 Lord's Bowmen with light armor and shield, led by a level 10 hero.  (261 pts)

 



Next 4 archers - the plastic archer on the left is one of the 2 additions, he was hiding in with some models that had been used for Frostgrave.  The archer on the right was stylistically different enough that I felt that I ought to try something different with him, and went for a "traditional" green color scheme (mostly to prove to myself I could).  I suspect he'll see more table top time in role playing or skirmish games than as a part of the army.

4 archers (44 pts)


I also painted the rest of my beasts and beastmasters, the right from foot on the dog was miscast or broken off when I got him, but I don't think it shows too badly.

3 wildcats (63pts) and 1 warhound (4pts)
4 Beastmasters (52 pts)
The second addition to the plan from march is a mounted high elf archer.  As I've no other high elves from this period, he was looking very lonely in the drawer, so I permitted him to join the wood elves.  Once I got my head around the idea that his scale mail could be leather scales, he came together quite nicely.  I added some variation in the color of the scales, but it think the wash overwhelmed it a bit and made it more subtle than I'd intended.  He'll serve as a hero for the Wood Riders unit.

Level 10 hero with Light armor, horse and bow (96 pts)


Finally, I have the wizard.  I've always really liked this model, and have wanted to do something special with him, ever since I managed to get a hold of one.  I think I finally hit on it.  While this is an autumnal army, I saw the wizard as tying the wood elf community together and representing all of the seasons, and tried to bring that out in the model.  I'm generally pleased with the result, though there are a couple of puddly wash spots I wish I'd done a better job of catching.

Level 10 Wizard with Barded Warhorse (126 pts)


That brings June to a close.  Next month: the armies in review; what was planned, what was completed and how it all comes together with the other half of the force. See you then!

14 comments:

  1. Great work! And, what I can say... the wizard is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! And the autumn theme especially on the wizard looks wonderful! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!! Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I love the basing on all your models. It looks like it might be simple/easy to do - but it is very effective. Great job on the wizard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the basing is straight forward but I like the result too. I have my wife to thank for it....we were in a hobby shop and came over with a bag of the leaves from the doll house section. "Would these work for your little people?" I've been using them since and have hardly made a dent in them.

      Delete
  5. Very impressive work here. I really like how the shields tie in with the horse trappings on the wizard. Excellent pallet choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice conclusion. And congrats for painting every single wood elf you had!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work and congratulations on finishing an army!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the branch and red leaves motif over the yellow, it's simple but effective. Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Jeff - nice ideas with the leather scale armour and the Four Seasons in One Wizard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant Jeff. I really love the autumnal motif on the shields and your mounted archer in particular. Top job! Looking forward to the round up 😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice finish to the challenge! I continue to like the way that you've continued to tie it all together, color palette, the freehand designs, the basing. Looking forward to seeing this whole army together in the wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool painting. It is really an autumn style that suits them.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog