Monday, March 4, 2024

AdamH’s Skaven month two - Big pew pews

I’m busting out my wildcard early this year. As everyone who has done an OWAC before will attest February is a brutal month, you are off the high of starting the challenge in January and with it being a shorter month it claims a lot of victims to the field of bones.

There was a real risk of me being included in them this year since I had/have two trips in Feb, losing me over a week of painting time. Therefore I bit the bullet early and decided to use my wildcard early and paint something big in size but small in number.


So yea, I went for my Warplightning Cannons and Globaiders, the first of the Skyre reinforcements for my force.


But AdamH I hear you say, those models aren’t from WHFB 5th Edition, the edition you play, and you would be right. However I strongly believe that “oldhammer” is a mindset and a style rather than a time period. There are plenty of models released today from some wonderful makers that really capture that oldhammer style. However you would be right if you were to highlight the fact that there are no rules for Warplightning Cannons in 5th edition. Therefore I will be claiming no points for these in the challenge, but I will claim them as being two models that I painted 😛


Anyway, enough justification, look at my models!




Also I did some OSL that you can’t really see unless you are close enough to touch the model with your nose, definitely the right thing to have done when I was short on time:



These two cannons enable me to play later editions with my army, and I have even seen some fan versions (WHFR) that have ported the rules back to be usable in a 5th edition style ruleset.


Next up we have the Globadiers, these jugglers are some great models but there aren’t very many variations in the classic style, so I painted all of the ones I have (I have since bought two more on Ebay and will be painting them in a future month to bring my total to ten), but here is a shot of each of the sculpts:



And all of them together:



So that brings me onto my month two stats:


Models painted: 10 individual bases, maybe 16 if you count each piece separately?

Total points: 80, hey look at that, same as month one!

Pointless details you can’t see when the models were built: Lots



Next month I will have much more painting time so will be tackling one of the bigger units, the Plague Monks or the Clanrats, so look forward to seeing a big block of scurrying vermin coming from me next!

9 comments:

  1. Your strategy paid off well, that is a fulsome month of OWACky goodness. I really like the glowing milky green in the poison wind globes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sneeky Skaven's try to smuggle illegal goods ;)

    Both - Globardiers and warp-cannons is true Skavenish technique - both directly from forges of clan Skryre. I like the way how you paint warp-glowing weapons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simple, I see bright red, I smash like button!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are looking fantastic. I have a WLT cannon still to paint (and now missing a bit somewhere I think) for my Skaven. I think I may be taking some inspiration (read: ripping off whole cloth) from yours.

    Fully agreed on the 'Oldhammer is a state of mind' approach - the grognard purists can gan an boil their heeds as they're an active detriment to the hoby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that Oldhammer is a state of mind 100%. Great work this month. The glow effect is awesome and works well next to the red robes. This is so much more than a Wild Card month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good strategy, and excellent looking models have come out of it. Oldhammer is definitely a state of mind; probably one listed in the column labelled "insanities" 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done on these. The red on the globadiers' robes really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're so pretty! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very well.played wildcard - bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog