Thursday, April 4, 2024

Jaakko and Forin - Rank & File month #3

On one side of me stand my Homeworld, Stronghold and Brotherhood; On the other my ancestors. I cannot behave otherwise than honourably.

Warlord Kettri son of Egil, Grindel Stronghold

 
 
I know what people think of February but for me March has been the hardest month so far. I had trouble staying focused and painting felt like a chore at times. I think it was mostly because I had allocated a squad of bikers for this month and there was a lot more work in them than I anticipated. I struggled last March too and hopefully it is just a case of passing mid challenge blues. Anyway, I think I'll make some adjustments to the remaining months to make sure I have something inspiring to paint every month.
 

Despite the hardships, I'm very happy with what I managed to paint. I'm also glad that I didn't have to tap into the buffer I painted in February and prospects for April look bright.

I finished one Combat Squad with a lot of heavy weapons, a Living Ancestor and a Guild Bike Squad. In addition to these I kept the terrain pledge alive by putting my imaginary Squat Sappers into work with field fortifications and by modelling and painting an objective marker in the form of a wounded Squat in exoarmour.

 

TROOPS:

A Combat Squad with heavy plasma gun and six! heavy bolters led by another Sqt Bylcow. Yes, Squats love heavy bolters and you can give one to every trooper.

A fragile looking Living Ancestor. There were many other sidearm options but I went with the dreaded laspistol. He is a real hindrance with his movement value of 2 so I will try to include another one in a sidecar later.

A Guild Bike Squad with a leader and seven troopers. I got some more bikes to make this happen, but I ran out of parts and had to improvise as the leader's bike was missing a headlight and rear wheel. I made a blue stuff mold and casted a headlight from acrylic resin. The rear wheel was made from green stuff. I'm pretty happy with both of them. The mark II bike someone might have noticed in the intro post is put aside for a possible hearthguard biker and is also still missing parts.


 
 
I love these bikers now even though they were a pain to paint. I painted these with headlight covers but unfortunately could not source the mentioned fluorescent paints in time. I'll try Tom's recipe and will give them a full fluorescent treatment at a later stage.
 

A close-up of the leader. The Squat lovers among you have probably noticed that it's actually a Guildmaster model. If I have the time and resources I might replace it with another leader and use this as one. The banner is a slight variation from one featured in WD 111 and Warhammer 40.000 Compendium and I used an enlarged version of the original to make the scetch I painted over.
 
This month in points: 
 

I use the OWAC adjusted model count so a biker equals two models.

 
TERRAIN:

For terrain I made a wounded Squat to function as an objective marker and some field fortifications.
 
The intact arm of this poor Squat is a surplus metal part, the body I modelled from resin and green stuff and the wounded side has tubings made from green stuff. The body is broken, not complete and only has the front part to make sure it cannot be mistaken as an actual exoarmour body.
 

The poorly hidden message here is that I have acquired some Squats in exoarmour and will hopefully be able to include an alternative Warlord and Hearthguard into the leader month.

The barbed-wire entanglements are made from toothpicks and a barbed-wire basing product and the dragon's teeth only needed to be glued to their bases, based and painted.

The next, and possibly last, terrain project will be scratch built buildings.

 

Thank you for reading this far, until next month!

10 comments:

  1. Well done for making it through a tough month and producing some really fantastic minis!

    I love the face on the Living Ancestor, so much character captured there. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They don't call it a challenge for nothing and I believe that this was the hardest part.

      I love to paint old Perry sculpts like this. There is so much character in them

      Delete
  2. Early signs are that April might be my bad month, so you certainly have my sympathy. But that's incredible work for a month of struggle, well done. The Living Ancestor is full of character, you really bring the best out of the faces on these minis. And well done on making replacement parts and copying that Exo-Armour. Such important skills for a Rogue Trader army, there's never enough affordable original bits to go around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the Living Ancestor sculpt and dedicated some extra time to his face and I'm pretty happy with how he turned out too. He reminded me of Gymlet the decrepit Wizard which is my favourite dwarf Wizard sculpt.

      Hopefully your April turns out ok in the end!

      Delete
  3. Warlord Kettri son of Egil looks every bit his age. Great painting month. For a month that you "struggled through" I'd say you did pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I had to force it a bit but all is good now. I'm also feeling confident on the rest of the challenge as I've saved some interesting models to the coming months

      Delete
  4. Great paint job, as always. But clearly, I think the barwires are only a threat for themselves :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right, but that's the best these Squats could do with their small hands

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favourite projects, the faces are brilliant and the whole thing ties together really nicely

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog