Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Jaakko and Forin - The Long Forgotten Squat Brotherhood - Wrap-up

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

- Henry V

 

...and suddenly another season of OWAC comes to an end! This season was somewhat heavier than the previous one but I'm very happy with the resulting army and the memories of blood, sweat and tears are already starting to turn golden. I didn't have enough time and momentum to finish everything I wanted and will probably continue to paint Space Stunties for another month or two and am enjoying it a lot at the moment. But that's enough talking, let's look at some pictures!


 The Long Forgotten Squat Brotherhood of Forin Leadenshield


 

Bikers ended up being my favourite part of the army and I wish to paint another squad of regular bikers and a biker Warlord at some point.


The thudd gun must be the my favourite heavy weapon in this project and, along with the mole mortars, something I always wanted to include in the Squat army to be.

It seems that I'm picking favourites from the pictures and the living ancestor is another one. A fun little decrepit thing. I have the sidecar riding variant in the painting que but unfortunately didn't have time to include it into the leader month

 

As you might have noticed I managed to get some painting done this month too. I really wanted to finish at least one tank and I'm pretty happy with how this Land Raider turned out. It took a lot of time to paint the monster with my teeny-tiny brushes and I'm considering getting an airbrush in the future. You can also try to find a new standard bearer and a chainsword wielding Squat from the middle part of the main army picture.

I've had this tank for ages and I'm super happy that it's finally painted. I decided to use the hammer with wings as a recurring motif on machines and vehicles and figured that a banner wouldn't stay pristine if attached to a tank and made it a bit rough.

This season in points:

The OWAC adjusted model count was used except for the Termite and Land Raider

 

What next?

As mentioned, I still have some Squats left to paint during the off season, but my thoughts are already turning towards OWAC VIII. I hope to take part in the next season if it's possible and have a few options in mind. I think I'd like to enter with a massive horde of orcs & goblins. On the other hand, I've always dreamt of a Bretonnian army, my dwarves really should be beefed up and I have some chaos dwarves and halflings in the pile of opportunity. Well, I quess we have to wait a few months and see what happens.

Finally, many thanks to Overlord Byron, to all members of the organizing committee and fellow challengers! Things have gone smoothly through the challenge and it was a pleasure to follow your projects again.

Hope to see you all next season!




19 comments:

  1. Nothing on that table is less than awesome, fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work - everything fits in perfectly with the scenery, making everything seem like little dioramas. Brilliant job - congratulations!

    (I vote for O&G's!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, I tried to concentrate more on presentation this time as there is more freedom in laying out loose order Sci-Fi troops.

      O&G is a very strong contender in my mind too

      Delete
  3. Superb army and table set up. The Land Raider is a worthy finale and fearsome addition to any 40K army, but fits perfectly here. Your paintjob has really caught the character on the Ancestor Lord's face. Between that and the heavy machinery and industrial grime you have absolutely nailed these Squats. Top marks! You've been a fantastic fellow challenger too, thanks for all your support! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for me the camaraderie of the challenge is a big motivator and in itself the main reason to take part in it. I'm glad if comes across

      Delete
  4. Really nice looking army. They look grim and ready for battle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, these guys are ready and I hope they will see some battle soon! I might have to paint the opposing force first though (I've got some orks and eldar lined up in the painting que)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant project - the grim realism, the down to earth colours and the character in their little bearded faces. And then all the scenic elements to match! So good!

    Quite envious of that beautiful Land Raider, too.

    Brets would be an interesting contrast to this, but I look forward to seeing whatever comes next from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Brets are always on the table when I'm thinking of future projects and it would definitely be a refreshing change after these white uniforms

      Delete
  6. Dude, I have no words! This is such an incredible army, and seeing it come together every month has been such an honour. I love the gritty white-grey armour and the 'industrial-ness' of everything. Really brings these rather weird models to life!

    I'm going to spend a lot of time just absorbing all these army shots. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! Following other projects come together is so much more interesting when you're in the challenge and the feeling is mutual.

      Delete
  7. Squats! Absolutely magnificent! I really love everything about your army - colour scheme, model choice, top drawer painting, and those banners are fabulous! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Squats really are special little fellows! I hope you noticed the one I got from you too! There's a better picture last month but he's pretty much in the centre of the first three pictures here too.

      Delete
  8. Woooooow, everything works perfectly, the miniatures, the scenery, everything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, if there only were a month or two more to make it really complete...

      Delete
  9. Amazing paint job dude !! I can't wait to see your Slaaneshi cult next year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! We'll see how it goes. Slaanesh always tempts me... to paint models I mean

      Delete

Search This Blog