Friday, March 30, 2018

Qrab's Chaos: March Marauders Madness (205 points)

After finishing early last month, and with only five models left to paint for the challenge, I was optimistic that I'd be one of the first to finish the challenge. But here it is the last week of March and I've just now finished painting those five models. Where did the fucking time go?

Also, after last month's disaster, I decided to wait for it warms up before I apply the clear coat. So, for now these guys are attached to their bases with pins (no glue). Looking at the close up photos I see some rough spots I'm not really happy with, so after the challenge is over I might do some touch ups.

Anyway, this month I present the front rank for my unit of Chaos Marauders with two-handed weapons, for a total of 205 points. I kept to the same color scheme used for the models in the rear rank, but it appears I flipped the steel and black armor pieces.


The front rank



For the close ups, again I'll move from left to right. Starting again with another classic CH2 Chaos Warrior: Eric Umbrand Earthshaker. One of the most iconic miniatures from the CH2 range is Slambo, but I actually the Earthshaker model. There's something about his aggressive pose and massive sword that really speaks to me. This model is relatively simple in design (a big dude encased in armor) and has a paint scheme to match (essentially black and steel with some gold accents), I spent a fair amount of time on the paint job because I didn't want to fuck it up. This was exacerbated by the decision to do some freehand checkers on part of his armor.


Eric to his friends, but Mr. Earthshaker to you
Nothing says "Oldhammer" like checkers

Next up is a model from the CH3 Chaos Champions line: Xarytus Deathflail. I'd actually painted this model once before back in the early 90s, but ended up stripping it some years back because it was rather a botched job (red armor with a muddy wash). Looking at the model's hands, it displays some of the anatomical oddities common to many of the old sculpts.


That does look like a deadly flail


The unit standard is carried by a model that I believe was identified as "Evil Fighter" or "Evil Paladin" in a two-page collector's pamphlet GW produced way back when (I can't remember which and the pamphlet is in storage). This is another model that I painted back in the late 80s, but the color scheme was so garish I couldn't stand it (teal armor? What the hell was I thinking?). I drilled out the top of his mace, added a short length of brass tube and topped it with a middle-hammer skull finial to create the banner. The skull is very much in the Wayne England style, so it seems appropriate for an Oldhammer model.


That must be heavy

Next is a model from the C35 Chaos Warrior series dating to the mid-80s: Bandog. Of the models shown in the Compendium 3 advertisement, he's the only one I really like (although I wouldn't turn down a Count Metalmane if the price was right). As with the other models in this batch of C35, there's a lot of detail on ol' Bandog. Rivets and spikes everywhere with fur tucked into crevices for good measure. For all the detail, the model painted up fairly quickly; except for the cloak. I spent some time thinking about how to paint the back of the model and after a quick consult with my fashion adviser (i.e. my wife), I went painted the cloak to look like tanned leather.




That's probably not Corinthian leather


The last of the front rank is another iconic CH3 Champion of Chaos: Stro'knor Macekiller. Of the five I painted this month, this is the model I'm least happy with because I don't think the paint job matches the model's awesomeness. To my eyes, the checkers look a little rough, and I'm really not happy with the hood. While painting this model I saved the hood for last because I couldn't decide on a color. I should have done red, because I'm comfortable with that color on cloth. But I wanted to stay away from a "Khorney" color, so I used Warlock Purple instead. The problem with this color (at least my bottle) is that it doesn't have a high pigment count, so it's pretty transparent. Once the base coat was down, shading it was no problem, but highlighting it was impossible without it looking straight up pink. In the end I used thin blue washes to balance out the highlights, but it doesn't look anything like I wanted it to. I also couldn't find a shield I liked, so that's something to finish another day.




The name's 'killer; Macekiller

So, that's me done with the the units in the list I prepared for the Old World Army Challenge. Next month's post may be short & explosive with an overview photo in the style of Warhammer Armies and some additional thoughts on the challenge.

20 comments:

  1. Very nice, detailed and I love the muted colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just can’t seem to get away from muted colors.

      Delete
  2. i think these are all awesome! You can't see the details in the group shot- I am glad you put in individual shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s one thing about the older Chaos models, they are all pretty unique, so the details get lost in group shots.

      Delete
  3. Nicely done! I like the standard bearer conversion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The conversion was done a few years back, but I think it turned out pretty well.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work! Your basing style is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. A great deal of my style is inspired by the great Jakob Rune Nielsen.

      Delete
  5. Billiant! The bases are lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great selection of figures. I'm looking forward to the full army shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a baddass unit! Some of the nicest I've seen in the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This challenge has produced a lot of Oldammer goodness.

      Delete

Search This Blog