Monday, December 17, 2018

Andrea’s Chaos warband

Ciao OWACers,
Finally here we are with OWAC2!
For those who don’t know me, I am the Italian one (you know, Italian are everywhere!) and started the hobby back in mid-90s. It was when the 4th ed started and, after a short while, the 5h was released; basically, the herohammer era! I have always been a painter/gamer, with alternate proportions through the time and, as many, with two or three stop and go dictated by life.

My first love ever, in all fantasy things, are the Wood Elves: in fact, they were the subject of OWAC1. This year I would like to face what I think the most fascinating and iconic army of WHFB: the Chaos army! What I really like of the chaos army is that... well, is chaotic! Many variegated regiments, monsters and humanoids all in rank and files units. It is probably the quintessence of the evil army threatening the world!



Years ago I started a small Chaos force, just for playing some 6th edition battles: therefore, a number of plastic humpback chaos warriors, all metallic colors and generally darkish. But, from that point on the search for old style chaos miniatures led to the gathering of a nice pack of chaos warriors and beastmen. One regiment, made by champions, has been already painted (bases to be completed), the remaining will be the OWAC2 entries. 




Here the list of the warband, from the Chaos army book of the 4th ed. WHFB

Characters:
Chaos hero ................................. 193 pts
Beastman Shaman Champion .... 134 pts
Beastman champion ................... 60 pts

Regiments:
Chaos warriors (x8) ...................... 192 pts
Beastmen (x9) .............................. 90 pts
Harpies (x5) .................................. 75 pts
Dragon ogre (x3) .......................... 261 pts 



The Chaos hero is a classical champion, one out of the three with bone armor: I already have the other two and I find all great sculpts! What I like of this miniature is the face: an old looking one, almost bald head but transmitting bad strength! Cannot think anything better as a leader!  




But my little big treasure is the warrior regiment: these are all old metal ones. Among them two of my favorite miniatures ever: Slambo and the guy with the scythe, Morlock Soul Reaper. 



Then, the bestial part of the party: the Shaman and the other beastmen. This is a collection of miniatures from different ages, including a 6th ed champion. He is no more a champion and on the back row: I like the idea of the big guy trooper with no obvious command position! A nice miniature is the one with wild boar face, I didn’t know there were beastmen like this. Very funny!




Dragon ogre and harpies are great pieces, something to worry about back in the 4th/5th edition and something one cannot miss when building a proper chaos army!

Ok, the plan is to create a brightly colored, classical chaos army with a large use of red and brass.  I like old style painting very much and I would like to reproduce those color scheme that populated the old battlefield.
I am really excited to start this new OWAC and looking at you, good people, and your to-be-painted armies I am sure this will be a great challenge!



Ciao, A.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful army! Looking forward to seeing the old warrior get painted up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesssss!!!! Lovely mix of minis you have there mate. I'll be doing something similar with my Nurgle beasties :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of classics in there Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys! I finally have assembled a long-time-wished chaos warband with many classic minis... it is also long I am thinking about the proper color scheme (but as said, bright and red-based as in the old good days!). Let’s see what the oldhammer muse will inspire ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great looking figures in there. I look forward to seeing your recreation of the classic style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great army And miniatures!!!
    Good luck mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dragon Ogres and some of the most iconic WFB figures ever to my mind. Love them to bits and can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog