Sunday, December 30, 2018

Paul's Gribbly Beasts! - Chaos Warband of Nurgle

Howdy folks, I'm Paul aka StuntCat from The Good, The Bad, and the Chaotic Neutral. I'm based in Bristol, UK and I'm lucky enough to be playing more games than ever since getting back into the hobby via a friend who introduced me to the Oldhammer community in late 2014.

I immediately realised that this was the hobby philosophy I had been practicing in isolation and that I still really wanted to play the games I had dreamt of as a kid pouring over copies of White Dwarf. It's been great meeting so many like minded souls and fours years on and I find myself depleted of bank account, but with a growing lead mountain, a hobby blog and an active role in helping to admin the Middlehammer fb group and run the monthly painting challenges there.

That's a big part of why I loved following the first OWAC and seeing the armies take shape via the blog and the fb groups. I was delighted to be offered a place this year and I immediately knew what I was going to work on as I've long desired a Nurgle themed warband and this was the perfect opportunity!

This is the sum total of my existing Nurgle horde and I can't wait to add to them!


For this project I'm drawing on a range of eras and manufacturers, from vintage Citadel, Grenadier and Ral Partha etc., through to the Middlehammer era of GW, and right up to date with some modern sculpts from the wonderful Pantheon of Chaos range from Knightmare Games, and Lewis Collins via the Oldhammer Sculpting group (plus some possible additions from the OS miniatures Company, and Tim Prow via our very own Josef BenSadon).

Here's the list:

Beastman Lord - 200 pts (can also/will probably be used as a Shaman Lord in game)
Beastman Champion - 60 pts
19 Beastmen (inc Standard Bearer and Musician) - 210 pts
2 Plague Bearers - 60 pts (to be added to the six I already have)
2 Beasts of Nurgle - 150 pts (still looking for a third)
5 Nurgling bases - 150 pts
8 Chaos Warriors (with Double-handed Weapons) - 208
5 Chaos Hounds - 80 pts
2 Minotaurs - 80 pts (to be added to the two I already have)
1 Troll - 65 pts (to be added to the two I already have)
5 Chaos Goblins (Allies) - 12.5 pts


CHALLENGE TOTAL: 1275.5

I had a fair amount of the prep already done, but as I have fine tuned my list for the project (and headed off down the inevitable rabbit holes in the lead pile) I've found my December has been pretty busy getting as much basing and prep work done as possible, and I still haven't finished!

I've not quite settled on a month by month plan as yet, although I know I will be tackling the 2 Beasts of Nurgle and some of the Beastmen in January.


Apologies for the terrible mobile phone picture, combined with the black undercoat you can't see much detail I'm afraid!

I'd like to give a big shout out to Tom Young who very kindly offered some classic lead at near charity prices which has allowed me to expand my Chaos Warrior options a bit, plus add another Minotaur to the mix. The beastly hordes are nearly complete, now all I have to do is paint them... Yikes!



12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Really looking forward to painting those Chaos Warriors! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Many thanks, I'm hoping to do them justice when it comes to actually painting them after all this build up!

      Delete
  3. Father Nurgle’s ranks continue to swell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always my favourite... except when it's Slaanesh ;)

      Delete
  4. Nice mix of stuff, don't think I didn't notice the old Ral Partha Troll in the background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to painting him! :D

      Delete
  5. You had me at "gribbly". Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See also; mangy, flea-bitten, and scaborous :)

      Delete
  6. Good stuff Paul, welcome to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the Challenge mate!!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog