Thursday, December 13, 2018

Pete's Empire 3rd Ed - I really should be painting

I don’t know how common this is, but OWAC gives me a forum to find out…



I have painted citadel miniatures for more than 30 years and have painted hundreds if not thousands of the blighters. There have been elves, dwarves, Orcs, Slann you name it over the years. However, in all those years never ever EVER have I actually finished an army.  The throw-away comments about “new shiny things” and the modern memes about unpainted minis are all far too real for me and it hurts. 
Its not a problem with painting, I genuinely love painting – It is a problem with commitment. This challenge then, I hope, will give me to incentive and impetus to knuckle down and produce something to be proud of, that the community can enjoy and most of all, is complete!
Biggest Unit I have managed to finish in the past

Slann were meant to be a project I finished, mostly sold now
One problem of army painting then is certainly my mercurial nature and wandering mind. For this project to counteract that I wanted to go for something where every model is unique in some way. I also want to include a smattering of races to keep it interesting so have opted for a 3rd edition Empire army with a few halflings, dwarves and ogres lightly sprinkled through the ranks.
In fluff terms I think this is completely reasonable as many races live side-by-side in Imperial cities and in terms of aesthetics it certainly works and I have seen a lot of recent excellent examples around the web.
The main force though I want to be a “proper” rank and file tabletop army. Ranks and ranks of grim determined men of the Empire standing shoulder to shoulder against the darkness.  Finally, as it is an “Old World” challenge I intend to use classic Marauder and citadel models from MM60, MM62, C46 and F ranges.
Last but not least, I feel that one of the most charming elements of a proper 3rd edition army is its baggage train so I will be including a cart and 5 civilians.

So on to the list – which is probably overly optimistic as it runs to 110 Models.
29 Ersatzolder, Light Armour, Shields, Standard, Musician = 248
29 Hellblitzen, Standard = 270
39 Ersatzolder, Spear, Shield, Standard = 280
10 Armbrustschutzen* =100 pts
1 Graf (Lev 5 Hero) Heavy Armour, Shield = 34
1 Graf (Lev 5 Hero) Light Armour, Zweihander = 34
1 Zauberer (Lev 5 Wizard) = 60

*The Armbrustschutzen deserve a special mention as they will be DoW Tileans. I made a Faustian bargain with Yosef earlier in the year swapping some minis for my brushwork so this allows me to kill two birds with one stone and send him something painted!
TOTAL = 1026 pts





Thanks for reading, have to run as I really should be painting...… Pete

9 comments:

  1. That is a load of figures there, you gave yourself quite an objective! I applaud the ambition. If you succeed, it's going to be an amazing looking army (your first one, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is quite a collection you have there! Really looking forward to your awesome paint style on those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be great to see it come together

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see another Empire army in the challenge. I see we’ve both incorporated a Marauder Ogre into a unit. Looking forward to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Army. The curse of the perpetually unfinished army effects us all I think. I like that you're adding baggage, I did that at the last minute with my Brets last year. My scratch built cart is pretty wonky though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great army! I am pretty sure the challenge will help in keeping painting; at least it worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friend, you have a six Month problem, jajajaja
    Great army!!!
    Good luck mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see another Empire army. That makes three of us this time out! Loving the ogres in the units, such a cool look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your army will be a thing of beauty when you finish it 6 months from now. You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog