Saturday, December 15, 2018

Zerotwentythree's Sea Elves - Intro

Introduction

One of my primary WFB projects for the past 10+ years has been a Marienburg army. One of the reasons I was interested in a Marienburg army was the idea that I could paint up a big variety of troops -- especially units or contingents of mercenarie & allies. Ages ago, I picked up some plastic 4th ed. high elves with the intention of using them as the core of a Sea Elf contingent. Many years later I still haven't done much with them. And along comes the OWAC...

My ideas are based on some of the background in WFB and also WFRP (see Marienburg: Sold Down the River. The largest high elf presence in the Old World is based out of a semi-autonomous elven colony within Marienburg. This “Sea Elf” community is the center of high elven trade and diplomacy on the continent. It seemed only proper that I should model a small force to represent these sea elves for use in their mutual interest or defense with Marienburg, as well as a small force for scenarios in which they pursue their own agenda.





The Sea Elves in (my) Marienburg

Thinking a bit too deeply about this, my thoughts are as follows… The elves were once a dominant force in the world, including large portions of the old world. That time is gone. Marienbug is on the site of one of their old colonies, but is now a major center of human wealth and power, with the elves as a sideshow. So this site, this colony represents both a backwater (compared to the elven homeland) and reminder of their faded influence, but also a gateway to regaining some of that preeminence.

So my thoughts are for several aspects to the force. For lack of better classification, I’ll explain them as such:


  • Traditional & respectable elven regulars. This would be both the colonial regulars and those among the sea elf merchant companies who have retained most of the conventional style and training of the high elves.
  • Veterans who have “gone native.” This could cover a lot of ground, but something of a blend between the high elven culture, but influenced by their wood elf cousins, or even the lesser humans they live among.
  • Nouveau riche & dilettantes. Those with high & noble roots and aspirations, but missing out on the context and deep understanding of what they’re trying to emulate.

So with that setting in mind (though I’ve not really formally set it down in writing until this blog post) as well as the miniatures I’ve got available to me at this time (plus one last minute purchase just for the OWAC2) I’ve come up with the list below. I plan on writing up some backstory or in-context fluff that should explain where each fit in with the above broad social/cultural categories of the force. I also hope to keep it a bit tongue-in-cheek. Part of my fondness for Oldhammer is not taking too seriously.


  • Galion of House Äënäräë (lv. 15 hero) (+/- 128 points)
  • 25 Spear armed warriors (324 points)
  • 10 Archers (140 points)
  • 5 Scouts (80 points)
  • 1 Elven attack chariot (148 pioints)
  • 10 Wardancers with double-handed weapons (220 points)
  • 1 Marine bolter (60 points)
  • Total +/-1100 points


I've got a rough plan for my month-by-month painting and have prepped a bit for Month 01...




(clicky for bigger pics in my entries!)

This may (time permitting) expand to include…


  • 10 Archers (140 points)
  • 1 Mage (lv 10) (118 points)


Side note: I made one attempt at starting this project years ago. I got as far as this…




5 scouts based on some more recent metal high elf scouts, and my first “test paint” of some some shore riders (light cavalry) also based on some middle-hammer-y miniatures. I hated these horses when they were released, but they’ve grown on me. At some point I will paint the rest of the light cavalry.

Shameless Self Promotion

If you want to see how this fits into the bigger picture of my fantasy project(s), you can check out my blog at zerotwentythree.com for a bit of context.

6 comments:

  1. I love this concept for the force, and all the thought you have put into the background - really looking forward to seeing them painted judging on the test models! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent intro! You can sense the RPG player in that force, with a great and well thought background

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good start to a tidy Elf force. I think your old figures have a good color palette to continue with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciate the background study behind this project! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW!!!
    Sea elves!!!
    Do you sure they are not Deep ones...???
    Good luck mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool theme. I'm a big fan of your work and if your "test models" are anything to go by this will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog