Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Jeff A's Dark Elves

Happy New Year to all,


We are kicking off 2019 with this awesome painting competition, and I'm looking forward to it. I will admit I struggled to finish OWAC1, but the fear of mean meme's posted about you is a great motivator. I imagine Iannick and band of cut throats will again be a great motivator again.


For the last challenge I painted a Chaos Army. I was really happy about how they came out. Unfortunately I don't get that much time to game, so they have yet to hit the table. Something I hope to correct soon.



For this year's challenge I'm going with the Dark Elves. Earlier in 2018, I stumbled across a really good deal of an  all metal DE army. I jumped on it and set it aside for this competition. I've been waiting months and months to get some paint on these guys.



Last year I painted each unit one at a time. But this year I've broken the army up into lots carefully balanced for what I call Painting Weight Count (yeah I might be slightly OCD). Basically the more parts a model has the more painting weight it has. IE a rider and mount would be 2, a spearmen would be 1, etc. The idea is to make sure each month is about even in the amount of work needed, so I don't get slammed one month and coast the next month.



Here's a little spreadsheet I worked up.




Ok Jeff enough nerdy crap. Lets see the figures.

Lot 1 
10 Xbow, a Bolt Thrower, an Assassin, and 1 Dark Rider.


Lot 2
10 Witch Elves, an Assassin, and the Cauldron of Blood.


Lot 3
10 Black Guard, an Assassin, a Sorcerer, and 1 Dark Rider.


Lot 4
10 Black Ark Corsairs, an Assassin, a Sorceress, and 1 Dark Rider


Lot 5
Dark Elf General, 5 Cold One Knights, and 2 Dark Riders.

All the figures have been prepped, with my ridiculous mounting method (did I mention the OCD?). I was hoping to have all the bases textured and all figures primed, but I was experimenting with basing schemes right up to the end.

Here are some nerd stats:
Point Cost - 1602
Figure Count - 59
Average points per month - 337
Average Model count per month - 13
Average Painting Weigh Count per month - 16

Lets get painting,

Jeff "Xin" Allen

7 comments:

  1. Shame and peer pressure is an awfully efficient and diabolical combo! So glad I can make a difference!

    Also, Cauldron of blood FFS! That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool group of figures. I must admit I spent 30 minutes today arranging my figures so I know what I need to paint each month! Very, very nerdy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There’s a part of me that really appreciates the “painting weight” concept, but I can’t really apply it to my army this year. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Army looks sweet. I too have a DE Army waiting in the wings. I'm totally not copying Lopez's Dark Elves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet model collection! Can't wait to see them painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Andrés beautiful army!!!
    Good luck with the Challenge mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great army and a really nice collection of minis!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog