Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Skal's Blank canvas (205pts)

Month 1 or the adventures of finding a cohesive army color!

This month was a challenge, not because of the prep time on models or the time involved in getting the basing basing done. The real work was finding the colors I needed to match the vision in my head.



I had this idea of a force use to violence and guerrilla tactics, attacking the enemy . Emerging from the woods at dusk to scare the ever living crap out of the force they were about to punish for getting close to their homelands. The dark woods at dusk was what I wanted for my vision.



With this in mind I started with a few miniatures from each unit to establish how I wanted to paint my force. Of course my first unit had to be Wardancers. After all when I think back to when I first laid my eyes on Wood Elves in the 80's I remember the Wardancers and that article in White Dwarf 111.



Wardancers for me were the guys that mothers told their children at night to scare them to sleep. I dove into my Vallejo Panzer Aces line of paints and started pulling out the grays and greens till I found the colors that I thought would work. My starting unit of 5 Wardancers worked out to 115 points.


I wanted to use warpaint to tie the entire force together so I went with the bluish eye bar as a thing to carry from unit to unit. I also read a lot of the older fluff to figure out what hair color was prominent inWood Elf culture and the color that I kept coming across was silver/white, so I used that as a tie as well for my entire force.


I wanted to make sure my Warrior Kin band stood out a bit more from the rest of the force so I did the main portion of them in a uniform green. This small group of 4 Warrior Kin came out to be 48 points.

Next up was my unit of Lords Bowmen. These guys are going to be a unit of roughly 10 bowmen with a level 5 hero when I am done with them. This group of 3 is 42 points.


Here is a shot of my effort for the month.


For the first month I completed:
5 Wardancers 115 pts
4 Spear Warrior Kin 48 pts
3 Lords Bowmen 42 pts
Total: 205 pts

Some of you may have noticed the lack of shields. At this point I am still trying to figure out 1) what type of shields I want to use and 2) what I want my army symbol is going to be. 

I have a few Ideas of what I want to paint next month and I guess we will find out next month what I finally decided on. Till then I will leave you with my hero Bob Ross. 

Skal

11 comments:

  1. Great selection of models, awesome paint-job, nice Adam and the Ants vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice catch on the Adam. You show your age good sir. 😬

      Delete
  2. Love that you are using warpaint to tie it all in. Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the dark greens and overall dark look, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how your wardancers look. I'm a fan of the bodysuited Goodwin sculpts and you've done a great job.

    I also like the bodypaint to tie the different units together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’ve done a great job painting and basing these classic elves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude. I went back to my Rackham roots with my basing.

      Delete
  6. Looks like mission accomplished on getting the paint schemes sorted. I like the variety of figures you painted this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful work! I really like the dark band across the eyes. Very cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great together - lovely basing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work! Neat and clear, very weel done! I like the black mask on eyes of all elves.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog