Monday, January 28, 2019

ZeroTwentythree's January Sea Elves (200 pts)

I survived the first month.

Things did not go as planned, but I still got my 200 points done and in hindsight I'm pretty happy with them. I got a bit discouraged right away because the old monopose plastic archers were a little disappointing once I actually got down to painting them. I've had them for a long time, I've seen them painted in armies before, and I know they were early plastics, but... those faces. They're split by the mold line, and because of this position the detail is a bit shallow and "not quite right." I opted not to paint the eyes, just gave them deep shadows. I don't think it's too noticeable under the helm.

Midway through the month I got the chance to pick up some actual sea elf archers (see second pic) to use as my seekers (scouts) so I swapped them out with the old wood elf models I had planned to use. I knew they wouldn't arrive in enough time to paint (just got here yesterday) so I swapped the seekers out of my January plan and replaced them with the bolter and crew I had originally planned on painting in February.

Prior to the recent acquisition of the five seekers, the bolter was the only recent purchase made specifically for the OWAC. Everything else has been sitting here waiting to be painted for years. I thought it was a model that really needed to be in a sea elf contingent. I really like the crew, but I'm not fond of the bolter design. I think it's the wheels. I hemmed and hawed over the color(s) for the machine but as the end of the month approached, I opted to just go with the same as the archers bows.

10 Archers (+1 elite, with long bow, hand weapon, light armour) : 140 points

1 Marine Bolt Thrower (3 crew with light armour & hand weapon) : 60 points







A quick commentary about colors & uniforms

The Sea Elves of Marienburg are a diverse lot. There are a variety of merchant houses, some of ancient and noble origin, some who have more recently made names and wealth for themselves through success in some aspect of trade. The military forces of the Sea Elves can vary greatly, depending on the circumstances may consist of mixed regiments combined from the personal guards of the various merchant houses, ships crews, various mercenaries & adventurers, regular regiments from the homeland, or even wood elves from nearby communities who either share a common interest or owe a debt to the Marienburg elves.

Regiments of elves drawn from ships crews or the guards of the merchant houses are typically outfitted in various shades of blues & greens. Each house has a different identifying color. To many outsiders (humans...) these can be difficult to tell from one another. But to the elves, the subtlety between "seafoam-green" and "gulfstream-green" can mean the difference between who's a friend and who's a rival. When the assorted houses contribute troops to an expedition, the colors may appear patchwork if examined closely, but as a whole they reflect the many facets of the open sea and sky.

Regiments from the regular soldiery (usually assigned to the Old World from the homeland) may appear more uniform, while the mercenaries and adventurers may show even more variety.






My latest February plan is to paint the five seekers/scouts and the attack chariot. Just as I've procrastinated on painting the latter for years decades, I'm already feeling the urge to push it back later in the process. I really want to paint the scouts right away, though... I'm sure I can work the numbers out somehow.

14 comments:

  1. Very nicely done. Love the background story of the uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice man. I hear ya on the faces. They gave me a lot of struggles last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The robes are beautiful, the faces if archers are horrible, I don't Paint the eyes neither

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, Thomas. I like that the archers' robes are different colors but that they complement each other

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work on the robes! Enjoyed the uniformology bit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on the archers and the bolter. Reading your blog, I have appreciated the backstory you put into each of your armies, and this one is no exception. I’m really looking forward to seeing the attack chariot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every bit as wonderful as I imagined when you first told us your plans. Can't wait for the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good to me, I don't really focus on the bowmens faces. The bolt thrower looks a lot like the Dark Elf one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice and good to see the more obscure armies :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost never paint eyes, so I certainly don't notice it in others. I think these look great, especially the subtle variance in blue robes among the archers. I can't wait to see the whole force lined up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone. I'm happy with the robes, though I'm now thinking about going back and adding some trim/detail after seeing how nice that looked on Victor's elves.

    As far as the faces, I'm OK with it, though I would have preferred more detail. Since *I think* the spear elves were cast in the opposite manner (mould line perpendicular to the face instead of splitting the face), I'm hoping they may have better facial details when I get to them in a couple months.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree that is the right way to go re: archers faces, but I think the unit you have produced is cracking - the choice of sea-sky colours (and the background story) makes so much sense. Great work all round!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog