Saturday, March 23, 2019

Andrea's Beastman Shaman and Harpies (209 points)

Hi guys,
this month we come to the midpoint, and my small Chaos warband gain his shaman and some aerial support.
I did not play Chaos back in those days, but in my gaming club all chaos players had beastman shamans as magicians and harpies for picking up opponent shooters from flying high. And so, since a good fraction of my love for old world stuff come from nostalgia then here my take!

Let's start with the Shaman. This was a piece that has always been present into the game until the very last version, just before AoS. Since the beginning it has been painted in many different flavors, from the bright colors of the old days to the recent all-natural-fabric colors. Hence my difficulty in finding inspiration for a proper painting. But, as usual, the Heavy Metal studio pages in the army book come to help: therefore, why not re-interpreting the "official" painting?
Here is the results, and I hope you like it!


What I liked while painting this guy was to have found a nice way to paint the skin. This is not the first beastmam I painted, but for the other ones I have never found the correct recipe for skin tone. This time I think I have found the right mix: greysh primer, light brown base-coat and ochre drybrush. I am now using the same on the other beastmen and it seems the unit is coming along very nicely!

And now we come to Harpies. Ok, let's say it plainly: while I was so happy in having found the models, I detested painting them! First thing, balance. Gluing models to bases with that strange aim to let them standing up was not so obvious! Second, I don't know why but painting them was not so funny as I previously thought. Well, after all, now I am happy to have them painted and enough satisfied with the result. So, here they are: what do you think about?


So, this month includes 134 points for the Shaman Champion (i.e., 2nd level shaman) and 75 points for the five harpies.
Overall, at the mid-term, I have painted 594 points of chaotic glory!


Next month, the beastman warriors unit and one dragon ogre!
Cheers, A.

13 comments:

  1. I recall those harpies being painful to paint, too. Everything looks like it's coming together great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that shaman’s skin tone is very nice. Also liking the family photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that blue on the shaman, looking good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the colors, and the harpies look great even if they weren't fun to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright colours and throwback Goblin Green base edging, love it. Shaman looks old skool cool, gimme more sweet nostalia please

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you put some time into the shaman - he looks excellent! Love the Harpie colours too - purple for the wings is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the painting on the shaman. I've never cared for those particular harpies either, but you painted them well -- so congratulations! Aside from the harpy figures, I really like the look of the classic chaos models.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on both the shaman and the harpies. While I like this version of harpy, I acknowledge they aren’t particularly fun to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My era of chaos. I always love these harpies and the beastman shaman. Will you paint more chaos warriors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more warriors for the moment, but if I will found more they will surely join the unit!

      Delete
  10. Nice work on some classic Middlehammer era minis - those Harpies are famous for all the wrong reasons, as we know getting them to stand up is half the battle - you have definitely made them look their best! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking great, you really did a fantastic job of emulating the classic paint job.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog