Tuesday, April 30, 2019

AdamH's Brets - Your mother was a hamster... (243 points)

...and your father smelled of elderberries!

That ropey old quote heralds the first of a new unit for me; the Grail Knights! And I will be honest, again this was a bit of a tough month for me, this time not because of any external factors but rather because I wasn’t feeling my chosen scheme with these guys as I was painting it. Even now that they are done I am still not 100% sure I like it to be honest, but in the interest of plugging on with the challenge and getting an actual painted army completed I decided to hold judgement until the end.





Essentially the thought process here was that the Grail Knights in my army all retain the heraldry designs of their original kingdoms but their colours all get swapped to blue and gold when they obtain the grail. This (I thought) would lead to a visually striking unit while keeping them looking unified. However I am not sure if they don’t just look too… yellow? I don’t know, I might repaint these guys after the challenge if I don’t like the unit when it has a few more models in it but for now at least I am calling these two done. I also might go ahead and put some blazons on them but again the original thought was that the knight sacrificed these when they went on the grail quest.

Next up are some more (and I’m sorry if you are getting bored with these now, because I know I am getting bored painting them)…. Mono-pose plastic archers! Not much to say about these, same as the last lot you may have seen from me, although this time there is a musician in there as well:



However they are accompanied, finally, by the reason I picked this scheme in the first place; which is Bertrand the Brigand:




Accompanied by, Hugo le Petit:


And Gui le Gros:


I loved these models ever since they were released but since I never had a Bretonnian army at the time I didn’t really have a reason to pick them up. Well as soon as I knew I would be doing this challenge I knew they had to go in the army. Such characterful models from back when GW actively pulled inspiration from other sources (which incidently is why I think I don’t really like AoS, all of the character that early and mid WFB had seems to have been replaced with technically excellent models lacking inspiration).



So this month I am submitting:

90 – 2x Grail Knights
54 – 6 x Bergerac Bowmen (I think I had my points wrong last month, for some reason I had bowmen in my head as 6 points rather than the correct 8)
16 - Bowmen Musician
83 - Bertrand Brigand

For a total of 243 points.




As always, I’m very happy to hear your comments, also I know I really need to start responding to them, sorry I do read them I just suck at responding.

- AdamH

10 comments:

  1. These are just fabulous! The barding is perfect and Bertrand and the Bergerac Bowmen are always good to see. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...what tremendous brush work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great to me! Beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! Don't repaint! And the 'Robin hood' models are way cool, and nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Errol Flynn is such an awesome miniature! His band of merry men are also outstanding. Keep rolling with your Grail Knights as they are looking good. I think the thing that is sitting wrong with the yellow is it is pale as opposed to the bright and vibrant yellows you normally see on heraldry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those grail knights look INCREDIBLE, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great work! I am really amazed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally I love the blue and gold idea but have sympathy with you if you aren't happy with it after putting the effort into them. The whole set this month are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the grail knight scheme is fine, but I understand not being happy with a paint scheme. Those character figures are great.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog