Tuesday, April 30, 2019

goblinpaladin's Wood Elves - an April update (275 points)

♫  ♪  we're half way there / woah-oh ♪


featuring: the Hand of God*
This month just sees a single addition:

Adzel, zoat allied contingent commander and level 15 wizard. 275 points.


*my partner. close enough, right
Sometime last year, I got really into zoats as a concept, even changing my Twitter profile to one based around the noble, long defunct creature. The zoats in both fantasy and 40k were intriguing concepts. I'm sad that they've since dropped away. There was a vague allusion to their 40k iteration in one of the Heresy novels, but that's been pretty much it since the release of Rogue Trader. I think they were in an early 90s Warhammer battle report, but I don't believe there has even been any content featuring the peaceful wizards of the realm for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. (I don't talk about 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy.)


her new camera phone really bring out her hand lines
I've bought a handful of them via ebay and the trading communities, but have been really hesitant to paint them. I've not really done lizards or lizard-adjacent creatures before, so I wasn't sure where to start.

This challenge provides a great way to kick your butt into doing things, it turns out.


a noble brow conceals a clever mind
This sculpt is a bit wobbly, with some mould lines I couldn't really scrape away without risking too much damage to his scales, and some wonky bits, especially around the face. I think he turned out okay, at least from my requisite three feet away (in a dimly lit room, without my glasses on).


From Warhammer Fantasy Battle, Priestly, Halliwell & Ansell, p.233. Artist: Angus Fieldhouse. © Games Workshop, 1991.
Only the single miniature this month, folks. Next month should see the return of elves - wardancers, heroes, maybe even a cheeky beastmaster. Until then!

11 comments:

  1. I think this is the first OWAC Zoat! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I were more confident with removing flash and mould lines, but I think he's okay. Hopefully more Zoat in the future!

      Delete
  2. One fig, but a lovely one! Will you be doing the other zoats for this challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have four others, I'm afraid, so not this time. One day I'll save my pennies and get a friendly sculptor to make me a standard bearer for them...

      Delete
  3. Very nice model and well executed. I don’t have any soars for my wood elves and I haven’t wanted to spend the time collecting them. I salute the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love 'em, but zoats are an acquired taste.

      Delete
  4. Very nice! Never had a Zoat... maybe it is the time to recover one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to see what you do with a Zoat, Andrea! You should get one! Or better yet, sculpt one and let me have a copy (I want to get a zoat standard bearer made.)

      Delete
  5. Lovely work and great basing to really set it off :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog