Saturday, May 25, 2019

SeanS' Zazad the Eternal and Meat on a Stick - (174 points)

Hi All,

Well, if I didn't have the focus of  a Golden Labrador I might have been done sooner.

I was initially intending to bring you all the Grim Reapers and Plague cart, but quickly realized I didn't have the stamina for that. I then also started working on stuff I need for BOYL, so I was lucky to get two figures done. Finally there were the usual hiccups as I waffled about a few touches on these models, some planned, some not.

Here we go.




Zazad, a level 10 Liche Doombinder, is the excellent "Death" model from Skull and Crown Miniatures Triumph of Death line. I believe they're going to have another Kickstarter coming up soon. This guy comes in at 150 points by himself, the horse doesn't cost anything.



He came with two arm options and I've always wanted to try magnetizing, so...



You'll also notice that the head position is slightly different. I managed to break his head off with clumsy handling before I ever even prepped him.



Originally I was going to put a coffin lid shield on him, but then I saw the box art. How could he not have a rusty sword? Skeletons cost 12, so a Standard Bearer costs 24.



As you can see I went with a zombie flesh color for our skinned effigy. I thought about putting some tattoos on the skin but decided not to. You can also see that I didn't clear out the flash in some of the holes and chose to give it the purple "zombie meat" treatment.

Lastly you'll notice that there are some posing issues. I could have made the sword fit better if I had planned it from the outset. The lead banner also severely unbalances the model, I should have put it straighter.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Hopefully I won't crash and burn in the final month.

10 comments:

  1. Nice work magnetising the arm - it looks like a super fiddly tiny job! The horse looks lovely (in a despairing, miserable way of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks epicsatsuma, it was a bit fiddly. In the end it came out fairly close to what I envisioned.

      Delete
  2. I think the standard turned out rather nicely in spite of your concerns. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff. I'm not unhappy with it, I just tend to catalog all the things I did in a way that is nitpicky.

      Delete
  3. I like that mounted model - might have to pick him up. The old washer-on-the-base trick will help that standard from tipping over. I remember having that problem with him when he formed part of my (now sold) undead army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony, it is a fun model. I glued a bunch of lead from the coffin lid metal sprues and then added excess greenstuff under the base. Still not quite enough weight to balance him.

      Delete
  4. These are really cool Sean! Can't wait to see the whole army- are you bring these to BOYL too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissanne, I wasn't planning on bringing them to BOYL, I have a range of games planned and I'm not totally sure I have room for the figures or a pick up game of 3rd Ed. I'll have to think about it more.

      Delete
  5. This is a triumph of death indeed! Zazad is very cool!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks stuntcat. As a bonus I just got to see the Triumph of Death painting in the Prado the other day.

      Delete

Search This Blog