Thursday, January 14, 2021

Bill's Greenskins: Dem Ladz Ova Dere (146.5 points)

 "Oi! You lot! Grab ya choppas and look sharp!"

"Whazzat, Arzenut?"

"Yorzolg's gonna lead us all down Black Fire Pass - gonna be eatin' humie meat and lots of it iffin' we get a move on!"

Rank and File Month #1

The first thing an Orc Army needs...is Orcs. With that staggering tactical insight in mind, I got to work on the first of two unruly mobs of Boyz that this army will feature.

Group Shot

 

The Back Rank

One of the things I love most about Warhammer's orcs is that they're basically football hooligans with tusks and I kind of wanted to play up the cruelly stupid/stupidly cruel image, which is part of why I decided to focus on the pot-bellied Foundry orcs. I love the idea that they're all barefoot because shoes are either too intellectually taxing or they just don't have the attention span necessary to handle putting them on.

I wanted to carry that through with the commands, so while the musician here has a fairly sensible gong, it's only because Foundry was out of stock on the musician playing a triangle. Arzenut, resplendent in his studded vest, is more interested in pulling faces than actually using his sword.

Arzenut, Level 5 "Hero"

When I got to the standard bearer, I knew I had some options. He doesn't have a very big banner pole, and I knew I wanted something utterly stupid on his standard; the idea in my head was, he's tried very hard to write something that enemies would find menacing or that his companions would find inspiring, but the one brain cell in the regiment was just not with him at the time and so the slogan he's come up with manages to be neither.

I had a couple different ideas for what that could be, including just painting an arse-print on the banner, as if he'd sat in paint and then sat on it. After the debacle at the US Capitol building on January 6th, I almost went with the staggeringly stupid "Q Sent Me." Finally, after much deliberation and an episode of "Blackadder," I decided he'd be proudly waving a flag that incomprehensibly said "Some Beans." This then morphed into "Eat Yer Beans." 

Whatever it means, he's very proud of it.

Whether this message is intended to tell opponents how to flavor themselves for consumption, nutritional encouragement for his fellows, or just a declaration of love for insoluble fiber is a mystery best left unsolved.

11 Orc Boyz, Standard and Musician - 110.5 pts

1 Level 5 Orc Hero, Light Armor and Shield - 36 pts

8 comments:

  1. Great orcs and banner! Looks like Rugby fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent start to the challenge! I rarely see these figures painted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Beans - mebbe he means hoomun beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much character!!! I love those models and you did a great job bringing them to life. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A right bunch of 'ooligans! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not my favourite range of orcs but you have done a great job with them. Love the angry face on the banner:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I realized too late how poorly they mix with other lines' orcs, so I think now I'm committed to using them for all the orcs on foot in my army.

      Delete

Search This Blog