Friday, January 29, 2021

Steve’s Cult of the New Colossus: Chaos Cultists and Thugs (541 Points)

 Rank and File #1

Kurtz drew his foot languidly through the ash that blanketed the ground. Absent-mindedly he toyed with an old finger bone that lay in the dust with the toe of his worn boot. The scene before him was a familiar one - men, women, others - sat huddled together in small groups or alone, cloaks wrapped tight against the keening wind as the brackish waters of the river rolled sluggishly by. Yesterday they had marched and fought and waited and they would do it all again today.

He suspected the same emptiness haunted his brothers and sisters. The dry whispers of their voices contrasted starkly with the maniacal chanting of the Redemptionists camped near by. Fellow devotees of the New Colossus they all were and yet so different. Kurtz wondered what drove the monks, what gave them their unshakeable faith in the redeeming power of sacrifice and pain. The shadow of a wry smile flitted across his face as he remembered once possessing a similar vitality.

That, however, had been what seemed like aeons ago and the memory died like voices singing faintly on the wind. Long ago he had made a friend of horror. Not the horror of blood and slaughter that the Disciples of the Red Redemption so revered. Kurtz’ horror was far more pervasive and terrible, for he had looked upon all life had to offer and seen naught but shadow and lies. This one truth and the moral terror it brought in its wake echoed loudly within him, for he was hollow to the core. Somewhere a drum began to beat. It was time to move on once more.

To paraphrase and correct the poet, T. S. Eliot, January, not February, is the Cruellest Month - cold, dark, wet and almost fifty miniatures to paint, although that last part is all my own fault!  I may yet end up agreeing with him next month though, depending what purgatory I decide to subject myself to... Anyway, so it begins - my first OWAC! To kick the project off, I figured I should start with some of the hooded masses that were inspired by the various literary influences I listed in my introduction post. Before that, however, I think I should apologise to T. S. Eliot and Josef Konrad for butchering parts of their respective masterworks in my little narrative preamble! 


18 Cultists of the Red Redemptionists            259 points

Marauder leader and Champion, standard, musician, light armour, shields, flails

Coming up with colour schemes doesn’t always come easily to me and I knew I wanted to do something a little different to the original description of the Disciples of the Red Redemption. It was the following lines from T. S. Eliot's The Wasteland that got me fired up to paint them in the first place,

“Who are those hooded hordes swarming

Over endless plains, stumbling in cracked earth”

These lines also inspired the cracked earth basing I went with too so I figured I’d look for some colour references in the poem as well. I’d already pinched the line about “the third who walks always beside you” for their banner and the description of this mysterious walker - “Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded” seemed suitably creepy. I made their robes red because they’re the Red Redemption and the suggested black might have been a bit too dull with the brown hoods - and hey presto! 

According to their background, the monks’ initiation involves the skin being flayed from their faces and a red hot iron mask being fused in to their flesh. I always enjoy splashing the old Tamiya red around to create blood effects so decided to go with that rather than a metal effect. Perhaps anointing themselves with blood is a pre-battle ritual the monks enjoy or maybe their facial wounds never properly heal - either way, I liked the effect!




The one non original miniature in the regiment is this cheerful chap with his old hammer that Curtis very kindly gave out for free at BOYL one year.


27 Thugs led by a Marauder 282 points

Kurtz and his Hollow Men

Light armour, hand weapons, shields, musician and standard

I always like naming my units and their champions and Mr Kutz from Josef Conrad’s Heart of Darkness was an obvious choice. With Mr Kurtz’s being name-dropped in T. S. Eliot’s The Hollow Men, I also had a fitting name for the unit of Chaos Thugs he leads. To seal the deal I just had to quote the poem on their banner as well!

Their colour scheme was a little more defuse than the uniformity of the Redemptionists. Having treated myself to one of Achilleos’ art books, Sirens, recently, I grew rather fond of his use of deep yellow ochres and dark blues. I’ve used them here and there across the unit to create a little coherence. The finishing touch for all these miniatures was a quick spray of yellow ink to suggest the bounce light from the burning buildings they have no doubt left in their wake!

I also rather liked the variety of war paint and crazy make up he gives many of his female subjects so I chucked that in as a bit of a unifying theme as well. Gives the Thugs a bit of a Mad Max feel too I think!







What can you expect next month? I may continue bashing through the big infantry units to make good time of the furlough leave I'm currently on, although the Chaos warriors, mounted and on foot are looking rather tempting too...

40 comments:

  1. Wonderful stuff Steve, an impressive looking force, even though it's not even a tenth of what your aiming to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After your other gargantuan efforts I wouldn't expect anything less.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Fantastic start! The banners and shields with messages are a throwback for me big time! Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ratwig - there'll be more esoteric messages scrawled across banners and shields to look forward to!

      Delete
  3. Just a great start all around : from the stories, to the text to the painting to the productivity. this is what the OWAC is all about. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so many miniatures. I love your painting style!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mariano - trying a few new things out and hoping it works!

      Delete
  5. OMG so many minis! Keep it up, they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, lots of miniatures and amazing shields with the runes. Those thugs with the mixture of miniatures and sizes of the large brutes fit perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrian - just the effect I was going for. The Citadel range is pretty varied in terms of size and height but adding in a few Foundry Thousand Tribes minis, a Scotia Grendel barbarian and a Black Tree zombie sets them off nicely.

      Delete
  7. A genuinely unsettling Chaos cult! Never thought I'd see the day. The banner on the Hollow Men is definitely doing it for me - has exactly the kind of ragged, barely-sane, "the end of the world is not a thing of beauty" look to it. Which isn't to say you did a bad job, quite the opposite - you did a good job of doing what a bunch of nihilistic doom cultists would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan - that's music to my ears and just what I was trying to achieve! Probably helps that the painter is barely sane too XD

      Delete
  8. I love it! Background, old minis, neat painting job. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaeckel - I always find coming up with the background is half the fun and makes the project more meaningful. Painting old minis also helps!

      Delete
  9. Two of my wish list units right there, fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I've been itching to paint them for years but other projects kept getting in the way. I wouldn't say no to expanding the Red Redemption at some point to make them a more threatening mass on the battlefield though.

      Delete
  10. Good grief, that is some excellent output with a cracking paintjob! The guy in tights! The shields! The banners! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much - they were a lot of fun to paint which is always half the battle! There's loads of daft details on the thug models like the guy in tights - they kind of reminded me of the old Musclemen collection I had as a kid! XD

      Delete
  11. There's something about those red redemptionists isn't there? The models are so simple but have such presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - really enjoyed painting them even if they were monopose. No surprise really as Jes Goodwin was behind their design. I think it's the way they're marching forward with such intent and the masks make them look so creepy too!

      Delete
  12. Fantastic work, I love all the shields and banners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - god bless Pigma Micron pens! Couldn't find a white one so the Redemptionists' shields and banner were done with the brush.

      Delete
  13. That's quite the achievement Steve, Got to be the best way to make use of being furloughed!

    I'm planning some cultists to my force at some point, but wil likely cheap-out and use North Star's plastics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul - couldn't have done it otherwise, that is without abandoning all my familial duties!

      Nowt wrong with that - they look pretty good and kits like that are always great for conversion bits! I was going to recommend Ral Partha for some culty types as I ended up buying quite a few in the form of evil looking priests, wizards and ironically clerics. Mind you they're maybe not your front line troops being armed with staffs and waving their arms about a lot! Looking back at your introduction post looks like you know their catalogue quite well anyhow! I look forward to seeing what you do with the Chaos Knights as I have a few in my army too.

      Delete
  14. Your cultists are epic !!! I love how you painted their robes. Great job for all of this !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bud - right back at you with those beautiful Slaaneshi knights!

      Delete
  15. Wow, utterly amazing! Appreciate the creepy poetic inspirations and love the yellow redemptionists. I find the colurscheme a bit cthulian, somehow reminiscent of the King in Yellow. Great work on the eclectic cultists. Looking forward to your next entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maciek glad you thought they were a bit Lovecraftian although the likeness with the King in Yellow is purely accidental! The robes are actually red (albeit faded) in regular daylight, although I may have overdone it with the bounce lighting with the final yellow ink spray with the air brush! XD Not a problem if it conjures up such sentiments! Going a bit Heavy Metal for next month... Good luck with the Undead - they're looking very promising judging by your Overlord offering!

      Delete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's an impressively productive first month! These are great models and you've done them justice. Excellent oldhammer vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graeme - furlough and lockdown are certainly helping in that. Glad you liked them!

      Delete
  18. You couldn't have left it at 18 lovely cultists could you. You had to go and embarrass us all by painting 57 figures wonderfully 😀 Having saidcthatvwe havecall come to expect no less from you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks John! Not trying to show anyone up - honest! Feels more like I'm making up for lost time - my output has been a bit erratic of late and it feels great to be painting regularly as part of a large project again. Anyhow, twenty two lovely skellies aint to shabby yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely models and plenty of them! Great job, I can't wait to see the next batch!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog