Saturday, January 23, 2021

Lissanne's Eldar- I do the Rock! - Brown Recluse scouts (230 pts)



Defense of the Maiden World, part 1.
(Rank & File #1)

I have been meaning to paint scouts for, oh, several decades, but could never come up with a theme I liked.  They are always presented in leaf camo, with identical color armor.  Sort of strange for eldar who are GDI, and left their craftworlds so they don't have to follow those rigid eldar paths.  Then I came up with the idea of rock pattern cloaks, known in D&D as Invisibility 1/2.  Enabling me to use the mighty toothbrush and do shading after.  


Underneath the cloak, the armor does vary, but I wanted each scout to have their own individual color, as bonesingers can color wraithbone, and Maiden Worlds like I am doing have bonesingers.  The guns and shoulder pads would remain cookie cutter wraithbone, however, with a touch of personal color.  I'm calling them Brown Recluse scouts, in keeping with the bug names I seem to have for the other squads.

  I am calling them a squad of 10, but they can be used as 2 squads of 5 too.  I intended on using bright colors, but ended with mostly slightly subdued ones.  Except for the very pink scout. But there's always one, isn't there.


 10 scouts- 23 pts each 230 pts total


  Since there are a limited amount of sculpts, and a couple I converted, I decided to paint similar sculpts together to make sure the were unique.  Here are some photos of smaller groups of figures.





Why the colors-

A couple years ago, I won about a hundred small tubes of Amsterdam paints in various shades in little bitty boxes.  A lot of boxes.  I have been using them more and more, and recently put them all in one tupperware.  My, there are a lot of colors!  So many I don't have to mix colors for this challenge- odd for me!  I will definitely finish the other scouts next month!

12 comments:

  1. Great job on the cloaks, these guys look like proper scouts

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really good. I love that you've used pink - and also that each is an individual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the contrast of bright colour and the camo cloaks Lissanne. You really do execute bright colour superbly 👍😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I really like the different colors tied together with the cloaks, makes them a cohesive unit of individuals - if that's possible... And you wont forget who is who on the table top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart idea to paint the repeated sculpts together, I shall have to remember that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, they look lovely all together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been toying with the idea of a Eldar scout force for sometime (not quite as you as you), I've got the figures etc. When I eventually engage my hand with my heart! I might just lift your idea, sorry.
    Looking good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone! And we are here to share ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely stuff and they certainly scrub up well! Sorry - my attempt at toothbrush related humour ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pink one shouldn't look as good as it does. Lovely painting on some classic old sculpts. The cloaks are class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to see some scouts with an unusual "fluffy" paintjob where each is a unique outcast. The pink one and the kneeling ones with the blue-black leather are the best!

    Go Team Eldar!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The contrast between the cloaks and the colours works really well! Great start!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog