Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Brendan - Hero Entry (50 points)

Just Like Bonnie Tyler, "I need a hero!"



"I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night
He's gotta be strong, and he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero"

I was initially just going to have one warlock be the hero for the competition, but I kind of find those models a bit dull. My friend had a bunch of the old Phoenix Lord models and I asked if I could paint those up for him too, because they are just amazing sculpts. So to get out of the way my compulsory HQ choice, here is my warlock entry for this month:


1 Warlock: 50 points, and totally boring.
Bonus Heroes
First up is a harlequin model. I don't know if he is 2nd edition or later so I'm not counting. plus I was too chicken to try and paint diamonds all over him so he should be disqualified anyways! :) Regardless, he came out looking nice.



I actually owned this Swooping Hawk Phoenix Lord when I was 14. I gave it to a friend who was playing Eldar, who then gave it to my friend whom army I am currently painting, so that is a weird circle of life situation. I just love how he came out:



The next Phoenix Lord is the Dire Avenger one. I thought the dire avengers were a bit dull, but the Phoenix lord one was pretty cool. I tried my best to represent the rainbow on the helmet crest to mixed results.



My absolute favorite has to be the Striking Scorpion Phoenix Lord. He just screams alpha predator to me and I loved painting every minute of him. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley.





All those models completed and I'll just claim 50 points for the Warlock. But this was an enjoyable month to paint!

7 comments:

  1. 3 Phoenix Lords, OMG! Leader month is a flat 200 pts, isn't it? I especially love your Barrahoth, and the Harlequin is a Shadow Seer, BTW! Go Team Eldar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, I'll be lifting some of those colour schemes for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!
    Totally agree that the Striking Scorpion dude is a badass, although I do also think that almost all the Eldar Warlock models of this era are awesome!
    Great job on all of these btw, so much detail in one month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I painted one of those Warlocks once, only Craftworld Eldar I've ever done. Perhaps they are a bit bland, but they're quite rewarding to do. They have an air of elegant simplicity to them.

    As for the Phoenix Lords, they're my favourite Eldar figures, them and the Vyper I suppose. There's a real sense of exaggeration about them, the Aspects taken to the extreme of their aesthetic potential, which is of course the point. Jes Goodwin, as the kids say, understood the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Striking Scorpion is definitely the stand out - beautiful, brooding and deadly! The Swooping Hawk Lord is also very impressive and congrats on the rainbow crest on your Dire Avenger too! Got to say though - I have a real soft spot for those old Jes Goodwin Warlocks in their static yet elegant poses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I especially like the Scorpion and the Hawk swords

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, I love the swooping hawk.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog