Friday, April 2, 2021

Mike's Waagh Grotgut (185pts)

 Rank and File Month 3

Well March has come and gone and the challenge is reaching its midpoint, and to make things interesting I a typing with a "m" key that keeps alternating between sticking and not working. I didn't want to slog through another infantry unit and wasn't ready to tackle my general yet in the challenge, so I was a bit slow motivating as the month began. Thankfully the weather towards the end of the month to allow me to prime some savage orc boar boyz and get them ready. Now let me get this out of the way, I love the look of cavalry and I almost always find myself fielding a unit even though they are often a giant points sink in a game where combat resolution is king. 

But I hate painting mounts, more specifically the horses but any mount falls close behind. But on top of that I contend that the classic plastic boars are quite possibly the worst mount that citadel has plagued mankind with. The jaws don't like to fit together, the heads don't like to sit flush with the body, and god forbid you actually want your model to firmly seat themselves on its mount. Then lastly an issue that seems particularly appear with orc and chaos units is getting the unit to rank up in a straight line with their musicians and standards competing for space with raised weapons and weird poses (poses are usually a marauder chaos issue where it sees that the gods of chaos demand that their powerful knights charge into battles raising their arms over their heads like cheerleaders). But in the end they were finished and I am pleased that they came out well. I've always liked their standard bearer with his lion cloak and I wish they had carried that look throughout the unit command at the very least.


So for March I have finished 5 Savage Orc Boar Boyz with command and shields for 185 points and are ready to move on to April

5 comments:

  1. Good job! And they rank up well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! It always seemed strange that GW never really changed from the 20mm / 25mm wide bases between 1st and 8th ed WHFB, even though the models have become much bigger in that time. Also their cavalry bases have always been slightly narrower than 25 mm for some reason?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've developed a bit of a soft spot for these old Perry Savage Orcs since selling mine unfortunately although I've never liked the boars! You've done a great job with them! I have similar feelings about painting mounts too I must admit XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, great job on those face painting

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog