Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Maciek's undead - Zombies! (88 points)

Rank & file month #4

When the dead don't die... "this is all gonna end badly... " :-)

No undead army is complete without a contingent of brain munching zombies. My April, entry is a regiment of 20 zombies ready to dance walk into a local village and snack on empire citizens and unsuspecting travelling heroes.


The regiment is composed mostly of the characterful Heresy Miniatures zombies. I opted for a limited palette and muted colours to complement the rotting flesh. The models are quite gory already so I opted to stick to the "clean" painting style of the early 90s army books.


The zombie halfing bard (Mekill Hacksaw) is just such a cool little parody, that he had to be the unit champion. I painted him in the signature red and black leather outfit as seen on the "Thriller". I had no luck sourcing the classic zombie standard bearer from eBay so I kit-bashed my own (also wielding a big cleaver) using the Fireforge living dead. But the standard is old-school, painted based on the classic campy horror designs of the 4th edition Undead army book.




I dreaded the prospect of mass zombie painting. I've been warned they take longer than skeletons (thanks Lissanne), so I limited the colour palette and simplified highlighting on non-key areas to speed things up. These models are mostly exposed flesh so should be fast, right? Well, no. I hoped to paint 25, but managed to do 20... and only just. While this output is below the target objective, I found I really enjoyed doing the all gory details and the necrotic flesh so the extra time per model was well spent. It is still a huge improvement compared to my glacial pre-OWAC painting rate (thanks OWAC!). So it did not end so badly after all.. ;-)
 
Next month will be a wildcard month - I still have rank & file models to paint so May will be the month of the ghoul and the screaming skull. Possibly other things if time allows.

23 comments:

  1. Painting 20 zombies is not easy, I know! Congratulations on doing such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never painted zombies in such numbers before so your early warning on them taking long was a helpful hint to prepare my painting process.

      Delete
  2. Lovely stuff! I tried for 20 and finished 12 so well done. I've now just realised that I have that zombie halfling somewhere too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I nearly finished at my first batch of 13, but then picked the least complex ones as the second batch of seven and barely made it.

      Delete
  3. With Mekill Hacksaw you have just won the Internet

    Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) Can't claim credit for Mekill, though. You may want to see Beatfreakz "Somebody's watching me" for some well choreographed zombie dance troupe ;-)

      Delete
  4. With Mekill Hacksaw you have just won the Internet

    Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work as always and a great necrotic skin tone! Not sure why I haven't spotted those Heresy Zombies before - they're great! Hacksaw is obviously the star but I really love the guy in the horned helmet XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice zombies! The OWAC's have upped my painting rate too. My DE army was a pile of lead for decades before the challenges started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I certainly plan to be joining OWAC V to continue that trend.

      Delete
  7. Outstanding work on these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow !!! Great zombies from Heresy Miniatures. You really painted them as they where in WD and old warhammer army book. Excellent !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! 4ed army book was a heavy inspiration here (I skipped on goblin green bases though) :-)

      Delete
  9. Wow !!! Great zombies from Heresy Miniatures. You really painted them as they where in WD and old warhammer army book. Excellent !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow !!! Great zombies from Heresy Miniatures. You really painted them as they where in WD and old warhammer army book. Excellent !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work, love the skintomes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant champion, and nice mix of figures (sculpts and painting) all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, they look aces. I have a massive soft spot for those old banners, and yours looks exactly the same - great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was exactly the plan :-) I used the template from the undead army book and painted it in. It is great fun - all you need is a good brush for the blacklining. These banners have a certain over-the-top, campy,cartoony feel and not too serious. I just couldn't resist them :-)

      Delete
  14. Excellent work with those Zombies!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog