Thursday, May 13, 2021

Shadespyre's Lizardmen - Karnac Returns - Finally, Karnac ACTUALLY RETURNS! May (793 points)

Leader Month

It's May, and it's finally Leader Month! The one thing that has been missing from Karnac's Raiders so far is Karnac himself. Well, wait no more: here at last is some of the Raiders with their commander

Karnac is described as being white, so white I painted him! A quick google search showed that white crocodilians are a rare mutation, and typically have blue eyes (they are not true albinos so no pink, sorry Oh Overlord!). And so it made sense to give him a stolen blue Dwarf hood to match.
 
The Raiders champion is the brutish Huris, who has a horrid reputation second only to Karnac's (despite a disappointing stat line!). He's described a green, and for that to be notable I thought he should be much more green than his greenish fellows. Being an early slotta era model, he also needed a plastic shield so I found him this natty polished bronze number to go with his stolen helmet.

Nothing much to say about the musician model...



I feel a little guilty about the plain green standard, though it's quite eyecatching of itself. The shape and drape of it doesn't lend itself to a design, and I lacked immediate inspiration. Plans to come back to it were scuppered by my inability to sit and paint in April, and though I'm recovering now I've grown used to it looking like this. It has got a mummified Dwarf head, so that's nice. I like the purple skin / red tunic combo, but a lizardman wearing gauntlets feels a bit odd...
There's also now a command group for the sword and shield regiment. The champion, you might recall, was going to be Huris until I found the "proper" Huris model. I painted him green anyway, but less so. This is another model where I have no clue what is meant to be on top of his head, it's like a skull and a wig or something? That's how I painted it... I like the big old axe he's toting.

Oh, here's the same musician figure, painted in a green cloak. It's a nice enough mini.

The standard bearer is a conversion, of course, so at least that's not a repeat. Lots of this spearman mini turn up for sale broken (still for a tenner, ridiculous) so I don't feel bad about it. Sticking with the "stole it from Dwarfs" motif, I painted it up as a fancy Clan standard. Same anvil as on Huris' shield, you see? Sometimes I do plan a little bit. The red and green check pattern drove me crazy, it'll just about do I think. Good practice for painting Space Orks perhaps?
And here they are as a big happy family. To round the numbers up there's a guy on the right hand side with another of those plastic shields - it's one of the repeat sculpts from my great weapons unit.


Last month's Rank and File update included The Black Lizard, so that's it for Hero and command models - just these two spellcasters to finish with.

I think of the hunched red witchdoctor - smothered in skulls, wigs and gods know what else - as a venerable old wizard. Maybe he dabbles in Necromancy and Demonology and that sort of thing. Ancient horrible secrets and lots and lots of blood. And then the bright, upright one - obviously I took inspiration from "modern blue lizardman" fashions - is younger and more active and probably knows flashy battle magic or elemental spells or somesuch. 



Points and such...

Karnac            174
Huris                25.5
Standard          48*    this is the WA (3rd ed) points value, not the 120 listed for 2nd ed
Musician          48
Extra Raider    24

Champion        25.5
Standard           44 
Musician           44 

Level 1 Wizard 180
Level 1 Wizard 180

Total Points:    793 points !

What's next / left?

June will be Wild Card month. There will be any ragtag Lizardmen models which don't fit into the other units, maybe some scenic elements, maybe something bigger and scalier... let's see!

I'd also like to write up a nicely formatted army list, Warhammer Armies style, but we'll see how much work that looks like.

13 comments:

  1. I love the colors! A great command unit full of well-done characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think if I'd planned the project more it would be rather less colourful and thus much less Oldhammery

      Delete
  2. Excellent! The banners are awesome, and that white boss really stands out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Thank the original author for the white scales... interesting how decades later white Lizardmen heroes are still a thing in the WH lore :)

      Delete
  3. Really sharp work, and I like the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing the whole army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! ;) Currently wondering about a simple display board...

      Delete
  5. Your lizards are coming out great! I especially like the stolen dwarf banner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! Poor dwarfs, always being robbed and beheaded... My favourite is Huris, he looks fantastic, although not to take away from Karnac who really does stand out :) The magic users are also excellent. I'm looking forward to the army shot on this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job with those banners!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work, it is fantastic not alone to see these figures painted but to see them painted so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So great to see a complete regiment of Karnac's archers! Lovely work throughout - this army will be a joy to behold once they're all assembled together!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog