Tuesday, June 15, 2021

JUNE "Back In Black" - Jon's Orks (436 points)

Infantry Month + Vehicle Month

Nob with power fist and 'eavy armour: 30 points
Nob with power fist and 'eavy armour: 30 points

Goff Boyz Mob: 4 Skarboyz with power swords; 5 Boyz with chainswords: 146 points

Looted Land Raider: Heavy Flamer: 230 points

Running Total: 1286 points

We apologise for the interruption to services. Hopefully this makes up for it.

we are so serious, Red Period...

Technically, if you want to split hairs about this sort of thing, the Land Raider was "done" last month, in that all the metal bits and all the red bits were "done". But that's not even the three-colour competitive wallah-wallah standard, and I didn't want to wave around half a job just for the sake of rushing a post out before I went on holiday.

When I came back, and after I'd played an actual game of tabletop Warhammer with an actual person for the first time since Ye Lockedowne Part Onne all those centuries ago, I had mojo.

 

First up: the last month's worth of infantry. I went a bit overboard with the gear on this mob. I had a bunch of chainswords and power swords lying around, and parries were always a good thing to have in second edition, and it was an easy way to differentiate some Skarboyz (also a good thing to have in second edition), and Goff mobs could bring two Nobz and only characters could take power fists... so I went all in on the available options.

The good thing about a colourscheme that's two thirds black is it doesn't need much highlighting. The bad thing about a colourscheme that's two thirds black is that black's gonna stick if the brush clips anything else, and if you've primed everything white so the skin matches, you're going to be painting a lot of black bits by hand. Goodness knows how I stuck out painting a hundred plus Orks and Gretchin back in 1995. They were slightly crisper casts, I suppose, but even so. I must have been mad.


I didn't compose this photo very well, did I? Anyway, I opted for a proper second edition blue ink on the power weapons and it looks moderately snazzy, in my opinion.



Nobz Nobz Nobz. I'm never quite sure if I've stuck these plastic power fists on properly or not.

But you didn't come here to look at my Nobz, did you? You're after something bigger. Something rather more girthy

Vehicle month!



I haven't painted many tank kits in my time (they took up too much space in my "must fit in the locker at school / under the desk at work / on my back when I cycle to club" single figure case), and I wasn't entirely prepared for doing three layers of P3's Khador Red Base to get coverage. It's worked out all right, though, and I think the "camo" (to qualify as "must be painted in Blood Axe colours") looks rather better on the big flat panels of a tank kit than it did on the Boyz' shoulders.

After a good lashing of Liquid Talent, it still wasn't looking quite "done", so out came the technical paints. A spot of Typhus Corrosion on some of the metalwork and anywhere the kit had taken a ding or scratch over the years, and a liberal bash of Agrellan Earth over the tracks and the underside.

My one regret's that the Ork glyph on the front has broken and I can't find the top half anywhere (and believe me, I looked; I turned out three drawers of my hobby cabinet and still no sign of it). Much like that errant plasma gun on the Nobz mob (which I did find during the long trawl), it'll go on when it turns up. Or I'll think of something better I can glue on there before the final showdown.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, right? This was the whole point of the exercise, really; painting up the rarity I was given years ago and have been sadly neglecting.

      Delete
  2. Love the land raider, that's a big boy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could get into this "painting tanks" malarkey if I had the storage/carrying capacity for them... maybe it's time to take up Epic?

      Delete
  3. Camo pattern is looking great on that tank! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a bit of an experiment but I'm pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  4. Noice! Some purple camo on the landraider - how topical :)
    The boyz look solid all together - and great job on distinguishing between the mobs with the blue and the red - how did you fare witht he game tho?
    You gotta be chuffed to finish with a bang - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won the first game but got a proper stonking in the second (in my defence, he was using Skaven and it was only my second game ever with the Wood Elves and I hadn't slept and aaaaa)

      And you're damn right I am - these were models I needed to make myself paint and I bally well did it, mission accomplished, mine's a pint of Tetleys if you're offering...

      Delete
  5. Great to see an old Land Raider with a new coat of paint and the Goffs look great. You're not wrong about that snazzy blue ink!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog