Thursday, June 3, 2021

Iannick's Red Templar's 1st Tactical "Mors Manipulus" Squad (250 points)

We are the Mors Manipulus. We've killed more traitors, fought more battles, shed more blood, and stomped more ass than the rest of the company put together.

Sargeant Gaudin, 1st Squad, 1st Company, Red Templars

Rank & File #4

Hey look at that, more marines

May was my last rank & file month, and so it was also my last month painting marines. And I've kept the best for last. I wanted to represent the first squad of my force as a bad ass veteran outfit. My idea was to use helmetless marines as well as marines with a lot of individual honours, badges, weird armour type, etc. All the things a veteran of many campaigns would accumulate along the way, and adapt to his needs. Basically, the opposite of my 3rd squad, which is quite vanilla in it's look.

It wasn't really difficult to find 10 such marines because really the Rogue Trader range is full of those types of figures. It also allowed me to use those weird death eagles armoured marines, as well as the marine with terminator honour figure. Any of those would've looked out of place in a normal marine squad, but here, surrounded by an eclectic looking bunch,  they all fit right in. 

However, sitting down on May 1st and looking at them, I felt I needed to make them stand out even more. For aesthetic purposes, sure, but also because I needed a little variety. Because one thing I had never really noticed before is how monochrome space marines really are! Little bit tired of red, yeah...And I needed to spice things up, if only a little. 

I figured the 1st Squad of the 1st Company of the Red Templar chapter should be special. And as such I decided to add black to my repertoire, and I gave them black helmets striped red. I was afraid it might constrast too much, or detract from my force's overrall red & white, but no, it *really* works and gives them that little extra badassery and unique factor. I call them "Mors Manipulus", i.e. death squad (the latin doesn't have that Nazi connotation!).

I gave Sargeant Gaudin a white helmet striped red, as all my leaders and special characters have white distinctions, but gave him a black banner to tie him with his squad. I really like the banner. I've always wanted to paint that figure, and I'm quite happy with the results. The marine with the bionic leg was a very old figure from my youth collection, and his sword broke aeons ago, so I gave him a chainsword instead. It looks better than the sword if you ask me. 

Some of my fav RT figures. Brother Martin with the cybernetic leg might be my favourite, but
really they are all iconic figures

Two of the marines in Death Eagle armour, and then there's the multi-melta
marine with a very unique "skull" helmet and decorations. He fits right in.


I'm really pleased with this squad, and I feel I may have kept the best for last! 

With this submission, my OWAC is "unofficially" over and I can do whatever I want with my Wild Card month. Damn, I love that weight off my shoulder feeling of ending an OWAC. It's a sweet, sweet feeling. I'm pleased with myself as this is the first OWAC where I manage to go 5 straight months without using my mulligan (Wild Card). It was my plan all along as I didn't want to have to paint in June. My painting room has no AC so I often take a painting break in the summer and I didn't want to sweat come late June, forced to paint under unrelenting heat (and stress!). A lot of people assume Canada is always cold, but yeah, no. Montréal in the Summer is extremely hot and humid. Our Summers may not last long, but they are intense.

So the weather will quite possibly determine what I will submit in my Wild Card month, although I have been working on a little something different the last few months that I hope to submit next month, if nothing else.

Technical stuff : 

Red Templars tactical Squad : 250 points

15 comments:

  1. You saved your best for last! Great figs and great job- I love the varied colors and strange armor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some classic miniatures in there - that Captain is one of my favourite non-MkVI marines. Monochrome marine fatigue is exactly why my Chapter is bi-coloured, well done for overcoming it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...lesson learned. I mean, I like the look, but it's soul crushing eventually. How people paint hundreds of Ultramarines is beyond my understanding.

      Delete
  3. Great looking squad! The cybernetic leg marine has got to be my favorite so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work and some of my favourite marine minis - especially the Comms guy. They definitely look the part of a bunch of very bad hombres! The chap with the flamer looks like he's been recruited straight from Sam's lovely Catachans XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the com guy is a great figure. Love his pose and his helmet.

      Delete
  5. The red armour and matt black helmets are fantastic. Combine that with some classic marines and that's a win win win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like my matt black. I finally found a good black recipe I think.

      Delete
  6. And so the Overlord reclines, atop the twin peaks of Gumption and Forward Planning...

    Seriously though, a very nice job, especially on that one Mark 7 Serious Marine who's found his way into a position of command. This whole project is a proper blast from the past (never mind that it's a past I never experienced!) when Marines were, well, just Marines in Space, just gnarly dudes with studs on their shoulders and bad attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, that's why I love the old marines. They look and feel real, not some brainwashed roman dressed half gods.The variety is also central to that.

      Delete
  7. Awesome work. The center trio in the first image are my preferred ones, especially the marine with the comm device and the one with bionic leg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic work Iannick - some real classics in there, beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bioniannicks FTW! That center sergeant is spot on. The little white cross on all the legs must've been a proper pain to do, but it really makes 'em. Way to lead from the front :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog