Thursday, June 3, 2021

Maciek's undead: wild... ghouls? (80 points)

Wild card month... 

(or  Rank & file month #5)

Hi all

As the undead march forward leaving death and destruction in their wake, ghouls follow to feed on the dead and wounded that the necromancer does not reanimate. My May entry is a small band of these foul cannibals that have to find a place in a classic undead army.

 
 
It's a mix of 4th and 6th edition models with a Heresy ghoul and West Wind hunchback assistant thrown in for good measure. Painting was straight forward: pallid, sickly skin and - for contrast - warm, leathery browns for the ragged clothing.
 



So what's wild in the wildcard month? Well not much apart from the ghouls. While I anyway planned to use this month to produce more rank and file for the undead horde, I had bigger ambitions: a screaming skull catapult, leftover zombies from last month and a couple of 80s skeletons rescued from the bottom of the bits box. But May turned out to be surprisingly hard. In addition to peak-time at work, family commitments it was also... painting attrition. It's a fifth month painting ranks upon ranks of cadavers so the motivation for painting the undead bagan to wane a bit. I found myself drawn by other models and spending hobby time preparing the next painting project (OWAC V, I hope!).  Ultimately I made it, but by the skin of my teeth. Phew!

Now for the final push to prepare the dark masters of undead - June will be the leader month. This will be few detailed character models, so should bring back the painting mojo .

Cheers, 
Maciek

15 comments:

  1. Those look absolutely spot-on.

    I have 20 Paul Muller Heresy Ghouls and another 10 or so of the ones he did for GW. How did you do the skin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My ghoul skin recipe is simple:
      - Base: Rakarth flesh
      - shade: thinned agrax earthsade (50:50 mix lahmian medium)
      - highlight 1: Rakarth flesh
      - highlight 2: Rakarth flesh + white
      - highlight 3: Rakarth flesh + more white
      - may have occasionally done pin-point highlight 4 (brows, nose) which was Highlight 3 plus even more white. Not on all of them though.

      The Heresy ghoul was a joy to paint - every muscle is articulated. I think Paul Muller also did those 6th Ed ghouls - my favourite sculpts, tons of character.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Turns out to be how I've painted all my Chaos skin (though I didn't shade with Agrax so that's why it's so tonally different).

      Yes, Paul Muller sculpted both.

      Delete
  2. A fearsome gang of ghouls, great work! I haven’t seen the hunchback model before but it’s a great fit for the unit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work on some great miniatures - I've always wanted a unit of Ghouls for my Undead army but never got round to it - definitely inspired now! Looks like we painted the same mini this month as well - the gentleman with the cleaver. I was wondering where he was from so thanks for the ID!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! The hunchback assistant is a cool figure - can serve both the undead and chaos cults :-)

      Delete
  4. Great job (even if I'ne never been a fan of the GW ghouls). My favorite model is precisely the one not released by GW :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Heresy ghouls, yet to see a better one in that style (although goodness me they're flimsy). I see you opted for one with his tackle firmly concealed, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look ace. This one was a random choice - got him as a freebie in a larger Heresy order. If I expand the ghoul tribe it will be 6ed and Heresy

      Delete
  6. Great work on the Ghouls. I had planned on a unit bit couldn't decide on a colour scheme. This is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pale skins, really nailed it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant paint there, nice one! I really like the metal work on the knives and the spines :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog