Thursday, June 3, 2021

Graeme's Formidable Fimir - May's Leader month (388 points)

 Graeme's Formidable Fimir - May's Leader month

OWAC4 - May

Leaders

I came dangerously close to the field of bones this month.  I had grand visions of a glorious array of leaders and fluttering banners for May. So I made a start on painting 9 leader/command figures, played around with some conversions for a banner, and started prepping some interesting stuff for June.

These grand plans slowly ground to a halt, as real-life graciously provided the rusty spanner which was dropped surreptitiously into my finely-oiled (if whisky counts) painting machine…

It seems May was a pretty tough month for most people in the challenge, either with distractions from work, or waning motivation.

In the end, I had a real last-minute rush to get these finished off. I'm not completely happy with the results, so I suspect I'll go back and tidy them up at the end of the challenge.

The Meargh is an optional character in the Fimir army list, but I couldn't imagine my army without one. It's one of those iconic Nick Bibby models, that everyone (of a certain age) recognises...






For the Meargh, I went with a colder pallete, to give a contrast with the rest of the Fimir I've painted so far. In a similar way to the Chaos Hounds, I went for a higher contrast with the skin colours, especially on the face and hands, to give an impression of a gaunt old Fimir witch-hag. I went with colours I've not used before, to push myself a little. I would have liked the highlights of the mauve to be a little stronger, but it does make for a suitably intimidating figure, and it makes the gold/brass ornaments stand out quite well. The moss skin tones worked out a little darker than I was going for - I was aiming for a paler, more sickly look. The contrast with the robes seemed to work out fairly well, though, so I'll take it.

1 Meargh (Level 15 wizard) :194 pts

Hand weapon


I'm very glad I started the Warlord figure in April - the armour and weapons gave me a fair challenge to achieve the look I was aiming for. Again, I wanted to suggest ancient weapons and armour dredged out of the marshes, with some scraps of mail scavenged from the victims of previous battles.

The chainmail hasn't turned out so well in the photos - the lighting emphasizes the brown ink wash I used, and the metal drybrush doesn't show up too well. I do like how the other metal turned out though. There was a lot of experimenting with different colour inks, some washes, verdigris, and drybrushing, which I think gave it a bit of depth and an ancient look. The skin did turn out a bit darker than I was expecting, which gives a good contrast to the metals, but not much contrast with the verdigris, which went from a shockingly bright blue, to almost green with the washes and inks. I had to give it another layer in a few areas to try to make it stand out.






1 Warlord (Level 15 champion) :194 pts

Hand weapon, additional hand weapon, light armour


Army total so far:    930 pts

May:                          388 pts
April:                           150 pts
March:                        202 pts
January:                     190 pts


Yet again, I delivered a lot less than what I was hoping for, but it’s another small step forward in the quest to finally build a legit Fimir army. This month's points were sorely needed. I'm tantalizingly close to the 1000 point goal. However, I’m determined to continue after this OWAC and build up a truly impressive force out of them.

There’s plenty in the pipeline for June, but I'm worried I'm not going to get through June's rank-and-file quota. I’ll need to do some serious time management to meet the deadlines. I suspect some late nights will be in order. It's worth it, though - the finish line is in sight! Fingers crossed!

19 comments:

  1. Very cool minis! I don't think I've ever seen the Meargh figure before, just the illustration. Glad you were able to avoid the field of bones like I just barely did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, escaped the clutch of the field of bones for another month... :-)

      Delete
  2. Great meargh! And I love the warlord. It will be great to see a finished fimir army here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissanne! Pulling out all the stops in the next couple of months to get across the finish line and add some finishing touches...

      Delete
  3. Very nice, especially the corrosion effects on the warlord's weapons and armour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers! The detail isn't great on the armour, so the washes and inks really helped bring them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work. I’m loving the corrosion on the leader! can’t wait to see the fimir ranked up defending their foggy fortress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yeah, I've really got to focus on swelling the ranks now. Fingers crossed I get there...

      Delete
  6. Lovely bit of verdigris that! Probably said it before but I really like the blend from the green to the more fleshy tones around the snout. A pair of cracking minis and you've certainly done them justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I was aiming for the flesh-tones around the face, hands and joints to make them less lizard- or frog-like, and I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

      Delete
  7. Macrophotography draws out what the eye excuses. It's a curse.

    A fine job on some rather plain figures; there's a lot of texture there which you've brought out rather than drowned out. I might have attempted a pattern on the Meargh's shawl, but I'd also have buggered it up if I had...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds so back handed, doesn't it? I swear it's not meant to. I like these figures a lot, and am TRYING to praise you for letting them do the work for themselves.

      Delete
    2. Don't worry, I appreciate your comments - no offence taken. You're absolutely correct - I've been content with the painting on many models, only to notice lots of little flaws once I took a photo of them.
      These Nick Bibby sculpts have a frugal style, with most of the detail in the faces and armour - very different from the Goodwin, Adams, or Olley styles, which are packed with textures and detail.
      I was tempted to try some freehand designs on the shawl, but I don't have enough confidence in my freehand skills yet. Maybe after some practice I will go back and give it a shot.

      Delete
  8. Lovely painting on two classic minis. Th8s iis going to be a lovely army when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Lots of work ahead of me in the next month, but I'm looking forward to bringing them all together for the final post.

      Delete
  9. Great work on the skin tone and metal work of the warlord, especially, but both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely duo, especially the verdigris and the job with the meargh despite it is a simple, yet charming, sculpt. Your small changes in the skin colours and the clothes did great. Hope you can finish you last batch, waiting to see your amazing army completed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them both but I favorite is the champion !

    ReplyDelete
  12. The skin is so cool - that fade into the pink/purple is awesome! I always struggle with making different versions of the same colour look, well.... different, and you've done a wonderful job. I have also never seen a fimir army, so I'm really looking forward to your army shots!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog